Thompson Falls Woman's Club - Thompson Falls, MT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 47° 35.835 W 115° 20.922
11T E 624133 N 5272858
Quick Description: Built in 1910 and the oldest log building in Thompson Falls, this was for many years used as a Woman's Club. It stands along Jefferson Street in Thompson Falls. Today is appears as it did a century ago and is a private residence.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 3/3/2015 11:43:14 PM
Waymark Code: WMNF69
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BarbershopDru
Views: 0

Long Description:
Rinard House AKA Woman's Club

Built in 1910, the Thompson Falls Woman's Club is significant for its association with the Woman's Club, which was originally founded in Thompson Falls in 1914. The building was originally used as a three room residence for Leonard Rinard, an attorney who arrived in 1906 and established a practice in the former Harriott building on Main Street. By 1907 Rinard had become secretary of the Sanders County Abstract and Title Insurance Company, and a year later had been elected as County Clerk and Recorder. He sold the property in 1914 and, after a series of owners, it was acquired in 1928 by the Woman's Club.

The first Woman's Club was formed in 1914 and convened at the home of its president, M.V. Brown. After a reorganization in 1921, twelve charter members became officially organized as a non-sectarian and non-political organization, where women in Thompson Falls "can come and discuss issues and measures with the purpose of benefiting every man, woman and child in the community." The Woman's Club has always been involved with civic programs, and in 1922, in conjunction with the Sanders County and Montana Tuberculosis Society, they organized the first child welfare clinic in the community. In 1926 they were instrumental in persuading the town to convert a bandstand into a community bathhouse for public use. The group sponsors charity sales and fund raisers and helped to organize the first community library, and establish a community swimming pool and the Sanders County Historical Library. The Thompson Falls Woman's Club building is the oldest log building in the community. It remains essentially the same as when originally constructed, although the interior has been slightly altered to create a meeting room for the Club.

Originally a three room house, an addition housing a kitchen was added shortly after construction of the house. A covered open porch on the east side of the addition may have been built then. It is now gone. Along with the west side casement window, they appear to be the only alterations on the exterior of the house. Inside, a meeting room formed by knocking down a wall, the kitchen moved to the old bedroom area, and a basement dug.
From the Architectural Inventory

Woman's Club

Date Created: 1/1/1914

Active Club?: Yes

Website Source: [Web Link]

Secondary Website Source: [Web Link]

Address:
210 Jefferson Street
Thompson Falls, MT USA
59873


Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a waymark, provide an image of the building. A GPS or visiting waymarker does not need to be in the frame, but it helps. Please include details of the experience.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Woman's Clubs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.