Koifhus - Colmar, Alsace, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 48° 04.553 E 007° 21.540
32U E 377770 N 5326036
Quick Description: Koifhus in the center of Colmar served as central control and taxation station as well as warehouse for transit goods from 1480 until the French Revolution.
Location: Grand-Est, France
Date Posted: 2/8/2015 7:59:39 AM
Waymark Code: WMNBNZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Sir Lose-a-lot
Views: 0

Long Description:
EN: After many years of planning, the Koifhus was finally finished in 1480 in the center of the old town of Colmar. The main function of the building was control and taxation of imported and exported goods, the ground floor was also used as a warehouse. After 1534 the upper floor was the meeting place for the deputies of the Décapole, a federation of ten free Imperial cities in Alsace. The north wing and another adjoining building were added in the 16th century, in 1771 it was the birthplace of General Rapp.

After the French Revolution commercial privileges were abandonend and the building was coverted to other uses. In the 1840s it was a theater, later a bank office, in the late 19th century it was a catholic boy school and an Jewish school. From 1870 to 1930 it housed the Chamber of Commerce and Industry. The condition of the neglected structure was so bad that there were projects to demolish the building. But this was cancelled and the building was renovated from 1895 to 1898.

Today the Koifhus is a location for public events and a major tourist attraction.

FR: Après de nombreuses années de planification, le Koifhus a finalement terminé en 1480 dans le centre de la vieille ville de Colmar. La fonction principale du bâtiment était le contrôle et la taxation des marchandises importées et exportées, le rez-de-chaussée était aussi utilisé comme entrepôt. Après 1534 l'étage supérieur était le lieu de rencontre pour les députés de la Décapole, une fédération des villes libres impériales d'Alsace. L'aile nord et un autre bâtiment attenant ont été ajoutés au 16ème siècle, en 1771, il a été le berceau du général Rapp.

Après la Révolution française les privilèges commerciaux étaient abandonnés et le bâtiment était converti à d'autres usages. Dans les années 1840 ce était un théâtre, plus tard un bureau de une banque, à la fin du 19ème siècle ce était un eécole catholique de garçons et une école israélite. De 1870 à 1930 il a abrité la Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie. L'état de la structure négligée était si mauvais qui étaient là projette de démolir le bâtiment. Mais cela a été annulée et le bâtiment a été rénové de 1895 à 1898.

Aujourd'hui, le Koifhus est un lieu pour les événements publics et une attraction touristique majeure.
Rating:

Visit Instructions:
Tell us about your visit. Please supply a couple of photographs. Do you know any historical information about this toll house.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bygone Toll Houses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.