St. Joseph’s Catholic Church - Sandpoint, ID
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 48° 16.506 W 116° 33.347
11U E 532959 N 5346972
Quick Description: Now a privately owned venue for weddings, receptions and performances called the Heartwood Centre, this church held its first mass in 1907.
Location: Idaho, United States
Date Posted: 1/24/2015 12:48:38 AM
Waymark Code: WMN99D
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 0

Long Description:
The church, at the time it held its first mass, had a roof, but no heat and the windows were covered with canvas. The date was December 25th, 1907. In 1908 the church was completed and was used by the Catholic congregation long enough for the 100th Christmas Mass to be held in the building.

A few years after that Christmas Mass the church moved to a large new building at 601 South Lincoln Avenue in Sandpoint and this church was sold in December of 2011. Renovations took just over two years and the building was reopened as the Heartwood Centre on April 6, 2014.

The Bonner County Daily Bee of Sandpoint published an article on Heartwood Centre's opening shortly before the fact, on March 30th, 2014. It is reproduced in part below.

Church

Heartwood Center opening its doors

Historic building restored to ‘last another 100 years’

Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:00 am
By DAVID GUNTER Feature correspondent

SANDPOINT — The renovation of the historic former St. Joseph’s Catholic Church building has captured the imagination of town folk and left them wondering just what might be going on inside this classic brick building.

The answer to that question will come on April 6, when the doors of the Heartwood Center swing wide for a community open house. Susie and Mark Kubiak purchased the property in December 2011 and have been working through the stages of design, demolition and reconstruction ever since. They had been looking at the old church since St. Joseph’s celebrated its 100th Christmas Mass a couple of years before that and considered buying the building when the parish moved to its new location on Lincoln Street.

Heartwood Center, a space that for about a century served as the chapel for St. Joseph’s Catholic Church and now will be used as a gathering place for events such as weddings and live performances.
From the Bonner County Daily Bee

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1908

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

Street address of Church:
615 Oak Street
Sandpoint, ID USA
83864


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Not listed

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.