Church of the Immaculate Conception -- Ft Smith AR
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
N 35° 22.976 W 094° 25.126
15S E 371136 N 3916434
Quick Description: Built in 1899, the Church of the Immaculate Conception still serves the Catholic faithful of this community.
Location: Arkansas, United States
Date Posted: 1/20/2015 10:21:25 AM
Waymark Code: WMN8RP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:
The seat of the Immaculate Conception parish, the Church of the Immaculate Conception has deep roots in this community, and continues to serve a growing flock of Catholic faithful at this amazing church downtown.

From the Immaculate Conception website: (visit link)

"The founding and initial growth of our Parish coincides with the exodus of Catholics from Ireland during the 1840s and 1850¹s. The first Irish Catholic in Fort Smith was Michael Manning, who came here to work on the construction of the fort in 1840. He arrived from New Orleans. The first known Mass to be celebrated in Fort Smith took place in his home.

As others arrived in Fort Smith, Manning donated the land for the first church and caught the attention of the Bishop of Little Rock, the Reverend Andrew Byrne. Soon they completed the little log church of Saint Patrick at the corner of what is now 3rd and North "D" Streets. Total cost for the structure was $258.50. The Catholic burial ground was immediately north of the Church.

Fr. John Corry was the first pastor of the Parish. Fr. Peter W. Walsh succeeded him in 1847. Fr. John O¹Reilly and Fr. Philip Shanahan followed. Fr. Lawrence Smyth was pastor from 1861 until 1908. Assisted by his brother, Michael, Fr. Lawrence oversaw dramatic growth in the Parish. Swelled by the waves of immigrants fleeing the Irish famines of the 1840¹s, the Catholic Community in Fort Smith continued to grow. During his pastorate, the Parish acquired nearly a square mile of property on the site of old Fort Belknap. It was bounded by Dodson, Greenwood, Grand and Towson Avenue. There was room for a school, convent, church, cemetery and a hospital. The Sisters of Mercy had a close relationship with the Parish. They arrived in 1853 and, through the years, started schools, tended to the wounded of the Civil War, built hospitals and attended to the spiritual needs of the community.

St. Anne's Academy and St. Edward Mercy Medical Center were testimony to their spirit and courage.

When the little log church was no longer usable, the Parish moved into the old officers' quarters until a new church building could be erected in 1867. This building served the needs of the Parish until 1898 when it was demolished by a cyclone. Sometime during the period after the Civil War and the turn of the Century, the Parish was renamed "Immaculate Conception" but nobody knows exactly when.

The new church, which is still in use today, was completed in less than 18 months and was dedicated on June 1, 1899.

Adolphus Druiding of Chicago was the principal architect. Rudolph Metzger, an Immaculate Conception parishioner was the general contractor and furnished the woodwork. Thomas Long was the contractor for the brickwork. The stained glass was produced by the F.X. Zettler Royal Bavarian Art Institute of Munich, Germany.

The Parish extensively refurbished the church in 1965 when a parishioner noticed serious structural deterioration. Today, Immaculate Conception Parish is much more than a heritage of brave clergy on the frontier and a collection of impressive structures and grounds.

It is a faith community of diverse ethnic cultures, combined to minister to the physical and spiritual needs of the community and each other."

A nearby Arkansas historic marker reads as follows:

"IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH IN 1906

The first Catholic Church in Fort Smith was a log structure at North Third and D St. The church of St. Patrick was dedicated March 5, 1848. Bishop Andrew Byrne had purchased a square mile of land on the outskirts of Fort Smith in 1847, upon which stood the abandoned Fort Belknap, which had been commanded by future President Zachary Taylor. In 1853, five Sisters of Mercy arrived from Ireland and established a convent and school. During the Civil War they cared for the sick and injured of both sides. A white frame church erected at the head of Garrison Avenue in 1867 served the congregation until damaged by a deadly January 11, 1898 cyclone. The magnificent red brick and cut-stone church designed by Chicago architect Adolphus Druiding was dedicated on June 1, 1899."
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 6/1/1899

Age of Church building determined by?: Church website

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Roman Catholic

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: From: 8:00 AM To: 7:00 PM

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Sunday

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: 10:30 AM

Street address of Church:
22 N 13th St
Fort Smith, AR


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Jffok visited Church of the Immaculate Conception -- Ft Smith AR 3/3/2015 Jffok visited it
Benchmark Blasterz visited Church of the Immaculate Conception -- Ft Smith AR 1/21/2015 Benchmark Blasterz visited it

View all visits/logs