Two Pumps - Baxter Springs Independent Oil and Gas Service Station - Baxter Springs, KS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 37° 01.553 W 094° 44.098
15S E 345675 N 4099150
Quick Description: Two vintage pumps stand in front of the historic service station that is now the Baxter Springs Route 66 Visitor Center at 1004 Military Ave, Baxter Springs, KS.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 12/9/2014 6:34:25 AM
Waymark Code: WMN1VE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:
One pump is a Bennett Model 1056, orange with black trim, straight along the top, and the other pump is a Bowser Model 585, black with orange trim, rounded at the top. Both are in excellent condition. A little bit about the visitor center is here: (visit link)

Constructed in 1930, the Kansas Route 66 Visitors' Center started its existence as a gasoline station owned by the Independent Oil and Gas Company. The station replaced an earlier livery barn at the corner of 10nth Street and Military Avenue in Baxter Springs. The new station opened July 7, 1930 as "one of the districts finest". The Tudor cottage style received much attention from the community and in local advertisements.

The station didn't operate long under the Independent Banner, but was merged into the Phillips Petroleum Company with the rest of the company on September 2, 1930. By October, the station joined three other businesses in Baxter Springs selling Phillips 66 products. Within a year following the merger, the property was officially transferred into the ownership of the Phillips Petroleum Company. Both Phillips Petroleum and Independent Oil and Gas chose similar Tudor cottage styles for the design of their service stations, rebranding involved little more than replacing signs and matching paint schemes.

Sometime before August 1942, an addition was built on the east side of the original service station structure. The "L" shaped addition contained a one bay service garage connected to the original building by a area used to display automotive merchandise offered for sale.

Phillips owned the property until 1958, when it was purchased by J.R. Parsons. The Parsons family owned and operated the station as Parsons Oil until selling it to Phillip R. Coulter and his wife in December 1966. Coulter sold the property to Cherokee Oil Company the following March, and Cherokee Oil sold it to Reeves Oil Company on April, 1969. After operating as an auto service station for forty years, the building was converted to an office in the 1970's.

In 2003, the structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2005, the Baxter Springs Historical Society purchased the property and under a grant with the National Park service and support from the community and concerned individuals, restored the building to its 1940's appearance in 2007.
Gasoline Brand: Phillips 66

Reproduction: no

Location: Outside

Visit Instructions:
VISIT LOGS

1. The waymark coordinates must be personally visited.
2. Give the date and a description of your visit.
3. Post at least one photo taken at the time of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Vintage Gasoline Pumps
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
veritas vita visited Two Pumps - Baxter Springs Independent Oil and Gas Service Station - Baxter Springs, KS 2/2/2015 veritas vita visited it
QuarrellaDeVil visited Two Pumps - Baxter Springs Independent Oil and Gas Service Station - Baxter Springs, KS 9/25/2014 QuarrellaDeVil visited it

View all visits/logs