Texaco Gasoline Pumps - Deadwood (South Dakota) USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member oiseau_ca
N 44° 21.840 W 103° 44.175
13T E 600698 N 4913079
Quick Description: two side-by-side vintage Texaco gasoline pumps located in the historical town of Deadwood (South Dakota) USA
Location: South Dakota, United States
Date Posted: 9/6/2014 7:32:49 AM
Waymark Code: WMMDQM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
These two beautifully restored side-by-side vintage Texaco pumps can be found in front of an antique cars dealership located on the interstate 85 in the historical town of Deadwood (South Dakota). The one of them (the red one) is Fire Chief and the other one (the silver one) is Sky Chief. The pumps are fully functional, but they are on display only. The dealership doesn't sell any gasoline.

Address: interstate 85 Deadwood. Black Hills, South Dakota, USA

Texaco was founded in 1901 after a major oil strike at Spindletop near Beaumont, Texas. The company was officially incorporated as The Texas Company in 1902 and the word Texaco was first used as a brand (for asphalt, not gasoline) in 1903. The Texaco logo, a red star with a green capital “T” inside it, first appeared in 1909, but it would take another 50 years before Texaco would become the name of the company itself.

Texaco’s history is often intertwined with that of the Indian Refining Company, which The Texas Company bought in 1931. That purchase included the rights to Havoline Motor Oil, which has since become one of Texaco’s most recognized brands. Indian gasoline would be marketed until 1943 as an economy brand of Texaco. During this same period, in 1930, Texaco’s premium Ethyl brand was introduced before being renamed as Fire Chief in 1932. A second premium blend called Sky Chief was introduced in 1938. Until the 1960s, Fire-Chief pumps were red while Sky Chief pumps were silver.

Web: (visit link)

Deadwood (Lakota: Owáyasuta "To approve or confirm things") is a city in South Dakota, United States, and the county seat of Lawrence County. It is named after the dead trees found in its gulch. The population was 1,270 according to the 2010 census. The city includes the Deadwood Historic District, a National Historic Landmark District, whose borders may be the city limits.

web: (visit link)
Gasoline Brand: Texaco Fire Chief (ethyl) & Sky Chief

Reproduction: no

Location: Outside

Visit Instructions:
VISIT LOGS

1. The waymark coordinates must be personally visited.
2. Give the date and a description of your visit.
3. Post at least one photo taken at the time of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Vintage Gasoline Pumps
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.