North Stonington Volunteer Fire Co. Memorial - N. Stonington, CT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
N 41° 26.252 W 071° 52.804
19T E 259378 N 4591333
Quick Description: This fire house for the volunteer department is located on Route 2 in North Stonington, Connecticut. On the corner is a simple memorial to the firefighters who are departed.
Location: Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 8/31/2014 5:53:54 PM
Waymark Code: WMMCKY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member thebeav69
Views: 0

Long Description:


North Stonington Volunteer Fire Co., Inc. - Firefighter Memorial


According to the cornerstone, this firehouse was first built in 1947 although it has been enlarged since then, of course. It serves the community of North Stonington, part of the oldest borough in the state. It is a rural area north of Mystic Seaport on Connecticut's south coast.


DEDICATED TO THE
MEMORY OF OUR
DEPARTED MEMBERS
NORTH STONINGTON
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPT.

Here is a small blurb from the official site for North Stonington, Connecticut.

Named in 1724 for the stony character of the hilly countryside, North Stonington was incorporated in 1807. Farms, mills, tanneries, iron works and cottage weaving contributed to a prosperous and renowned mercantile center in the 1800s. Changing times have left dairy farming the principal industry. North Stonington includes the settlements of Clarks Falls, Laurel Glen, Pendleton Hill, Ashwillet and the village of North Stonington, formerly known as "Milltown" and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The original North Stonington was named Jefferson until the General Assembly decided on the current name. The township of North Stonington contained numerous districts and settlements, each with its own character, schools, post offices, churches, and stores. Early 1800's industries featured gristmills, sawmills, fulling mills, a cotton mill, and a woolen mill which were powered by the Shunock and Assekonk Rivers.

By 1840, more residences, a tannery, and a trip hammer (iron works) were located in the Milltown section of Town. Woolen goods were the Town's major products through the mid 19th century, however, fine silk and satin clothes, fur muffs, satin hats, fine wools, thread lace, English carpets, and china tea sets became noted North Stonington merchandise.

On March 17, 1983, North Stonington Village was listed on the National Register of Historic Places containing over fifty-eight major structures most of which were built in the late 18th and early 19th century.

Physical address:
267 Norwich-Westerly Rd.
N Stonington, CT United States
06359


Memorial Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear image of your visit.
A brief description of your thoughts and feelings.
NO copyrighted images.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Firefighter Memorials
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.