Ambrosia Springs - Fort Sill, OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member TheRadcliffs
N 34° 40.418 W 098° 23.044
14S E 556428 N 3837023
Quick Description: Old forgotten spring house that use to provide fresh water to Fort Sill.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 6/30/2014 1:21:43 PM
Waymark Code: WMM144
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 1

Long Description:
The old stone springhouse and wells at the foot of Water Tower Hill in Old Post were built by Major Morse K. Taylor, MC, who was the one to bring piped spring water to the post. Previously, water carts would fill up at the spring on the north side of Medicine Bluff Creek and deliver water to the post. In high water, with the springs inundated, the troops drank spring water while the officers used Mr. Quinette's well. During the building of the water system, Major Taylor's wife, an invalid, died. Because she loved the scenes around the springs and would spend her days watching her husband at work, the springs bear the name of "Ambrosia Springs" Mrs. Taylor's given name.

The plaque reads:
Ambrosia Spring

Ambrosia Spring, commemorative of Ambrosia Elvira, wife of Major M.K. Taylor, Surgeon USA and Post Surgeon at Fort Sill, who died at this Post during the construction of this work, 1884. As these beneficial waters flow perennially from the deep bosom of the earth, so did the sympathies for the distressed over flow from her sensitive heart.

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit and post at lease one original photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Spring Houses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
TheRadcliffs visited Ambrosia Springs - Fort Sill, OK 7/7/2014 TheRadcliffs visited it