Battlefield Monument - Hamilton ON (Canada)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Bon Echo
N 43° 13.004 W 079° 45.989
17T E 600188 N 4785621
Quick Description: This Grand Opening plaque and the mounument it describes is over 100 years old
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 4/6/2014 11:36:31 AM
Waymark Code: WMKFCX
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member coisos
Views: 2

Long Description:

This Grand Opening plaque is located on the Battlefield Monument. Unveiled on the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Stoney Creek, this monument and plaque are now over 100 years old!

The Battle of Stoney Creek was fought on 6 June 1813 during the War of 1812. British units made a night attack on an American encampment. Due in large part to the capture of the two senior officers of the American force, and an overestimation of British strength by the Americans, the battle was a victory for the British, and a turning point in the defence of Upper Canada. (source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stoney_Creek)

About the Battlefield Monument (source: www.battlefieldhouse.ca/monument.asp):
The monument was constructed after the turn of the century when men and women were active to improve their communities by developing schools, libraries and museums. During this period, leaders in the community wanted to honour their relationship to the British crown and remind future generations of the War of 1812. It was a time of nation-building and consciousness-raising.

The sod was turned on May 28, 1909, and the corner stone was laid by General French in a ceremony on May 26, 1910. Problems securing government funding caused construction delays throughout 1911. Work recommenced in 1912 when the Department of Militia and Defense guaranteed additional funds. The entire cost was approximately $12,000.

On the centennial of the Battle of Stoney Creek, June 6, 1913, the completed monument was unveiled by Queen Mary in London, by means of a transatlantic cable. School children were given a half-day off school. Approximately 15,000 people were in attendance, including local military forces.

After 80 years of exposure to the elements, the monument began to deteriorate. The community demonstrated its pride by raising approximately $70,000 through the Preserve the Monument Committee and $230,000 was received from provincial and federal governments. In the summer of 1993, extensive work was completed on the monument. The restoration work included the reconstruction of the building fabric, masonry repairs and repointing, window restoration and the disassembly and reconstruction of sections of the tower.

The National Historic Sites and Monuments Board acknowledges that... "The Stoney Creek monument is by far the most impressive of the contemporary monuments erected to commemorate a battle of the War of 1812 and is arguably the most successful monument to address the broader loyalist theme as understood at the end of the century".

About Queen Mary (source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_of_Teck):
Mary of Teck (Victoria Mary Augusta Louise Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes; 26 May 1867 – 24 March 1953) was Queen of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions, and Empress of India, as the wife of King-Emperor George V. At the age of 24 she was betrothed to Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, the eldest son of the Prince of Wales, but six weeks after the announcement of the engagement he died unexpectedly of pneumonia. The following year she became engaged to Albert Victor's next surviving brother, George, who subsequently became king. Before her husband's accession she was successively Duchess of York, Duchess of Cornwall and Princess of Wales. Mary was Queen from 6 May 1910 to 20 January 1936.



UNVEILED BY ELECTRICITY JUNE 6TH 1913, BY
HER MAJESTY QUEEN MARY

THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF CANADA,
COLONEL THE HONOURABLE SAM HUGHES BEING MINISTER OF MILITIA
AND DEFENCE, TO COMMEMORATE THE BATTLE OF STONEY CREEK JUNE 6TH 1813.
THE BRITISH TROOPS UNDER COMMAND OF GENERAL VINCENT AND
LIEUT. COLONEL HARVEY CONSISTED OF THE 49TH REG'T IN COMMAND OF
MAJOR PLENDERLEATH AND FIVE COMPANIES OF THE 8TH OR KING'S IN
COMMAND OF MAJOR OGILVIE, TO WHICH WAS ADDED THE VOLUNTEER
ASSISTANCE OF THE SETTLERS HEREABOUTS LED BY CAPT. W.H. MERRITT
OF THE CANADIAN MILITIA, THE TOTAL NUMBER BEING ABOUT SEVEN
HUNDRED. THE AMERICAN FORCES NUMBERED UPWARD OF THREE
THOUSAND UNDER COMMAND OF GENERALS CHANDLER AND WINDER.
THEY WERE ENCAMPED IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY WITH STAFF
HEADQUARTERS IN THE GAGE FARMHOUSE, NOW MAINTAINED BY THE
WOMENS WENTWORTH HISTORICAL SOCIETY THROUGH WHOSE
REPRESENTATIONS ARE UNDER WHOSE DIRECTION THIS
MEMORIAL WAS BUILT.
IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT, THE BRITISH ADVANCES FROM BURLINGTON HEIGHTS
AND SURPRISING THE ENEMY, PUT HIM TO CONFUSION.
THIS IS HELD TO HAVE BEEN THE DECISIVE ENGAGEMENT IN
THE WAR OF 1812-13.
HERE THE TIDE OF INVASION WAS MET AND TURNED BY THE
PIONEER PATRIOTS AND SOLDIERS OF THE KING OF
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO.
MORE DEARLY THAN THEIR LIVES THEY HELD THOSE PRINCIPLES AND
TRADITIONS OF BRITISH LIBERTY OF WHICH CANADA IS THE INHERITOR
What was opened/inaugurated?: Battlefield Monument

Who was that opened/inaugurated it?: Queen Mary

Date of the opening/inauguration?: June 6, 1913

Website about the location: [Web Link]

Website about the person: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
-Please provide a photo you have taken of the site.

-Tell us something about your visit!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Grand Opening
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
SweetPea57 visited Battlefield Monument - Hamilton ON (Canada) 5/22/2010 SweetPea57 visited it