Norman Arch, Marlborough Street, Andover.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Ted Mariner
N 51° 12.567 W 001° 28.733
30U E 606252 N 5674216
Quick Description: The only remains of the Norman church which preceded the present St Mary's, the arch acts as a gateway to the churchyard. The old church was demolished and the new one built in the 1840's by Dr Goddard, former headmaster of Winchester College.
Location: Southern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 12/29/2013 5:42:38 AM
Waymark Code: WMJTCQ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Mark1962
Views: 3

Long Description:
The west doorway of the former medieval church demolished in 1840 was rebuilt, to form an entrance gateway to the churchyard, which is approached by a series of steps. A rectangular section of stone walling fills a passageway, and the semi-circular arch has 3 recessed stages; the innermost plain the outer 2 resting on cushion caps above columns. Continuous impost band, chevron ornament to the 2 outer stages. The paved area in front of the archway has a boundary with the street of wrought-iron rails, with central gates. Beyond the arch there is paving-and 2 flights (of 7 and 3) of steps.

Site and remains of a Benedictine alien priory cell at Andover. The present church, built in 1840, is on the site of a Benedictine Priory Cell extant from 1086-1414 and probably of a former minster. The Priory church was demolished in 1840, and the present church was built further to the east, but part of the old chancel is in the crypt of the new church and a Norman doorway has been erected in the South-West of the churchyard. The church is shown in a drawing prior to 1840 as having a central tower, chancel, North chapel, and a nave lighted by 5 windows of 2 lights of late 13th century date to the East of the South porch, and a window of three lights to its West. All other fenestration was 16th century, and the upper stage of the tower appeared to be late. Andover was in royal hands before 1066, was a royal vill, and was the centre of a hundred named after it, which is taken as evidence of the church being a minster. The Priory was a dependency of St Florend de Saumur, and was dissolved circa 1414.
Type: Remnant

Fee: No

Hours:
Available to see 365 days a year.


Related URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Original photographs showing additional views of the Ruin/Remnant or even just its current condition are encouraged. Please describe your visit, especially if no additional photos are available. Did you like the Ruin or Remnant? What prompted you to see the Ruin or Remnant?
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
ludgerite visited Norman Arch, Marlborough Street, Andover. 3/10/2015 ludgerite visited it
yellowwelly visited Norman Arch, Marlborough Street, Andover. 1/3/2014 yellowwelly visited it

View all visits/logs