Martini Kirche, Emmerich am Rhein, NRW - Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Moredale
N 51° 49.845 E 006° 14.192
32U E 309589 N 5745825
Quick Description: Martini Church in the city of Emmerich
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 12/13/2013 11:42:40 AM
Waymark Code: WMJPGH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 2

Long Description:
The former collegiate church of St. Martin was about 700 of an Anglo-Saxon missionary, the later bishop of Utrecht consecrated hl . Willibrord , in the village of " Embriki " was founded.
The earliest history and the original position of Emmerich's Collegiate Church , however, are still in the dark . According to tradition, the first church to have stood on the site of the present Aldegundiskirche , the Martini church is around 1030 - 1040 have been built outside the city walls over an old cemetery. From this early Romanesque church of unusually designed choir is largely preserved. It consists of a situated above the crypt high choir, which is flanked by two storey side choirs . One of them , the southern , the sacristy serves , the other houses in his upstairs today's treasury.
Due to floods and other disasters disappeared in the 13th to 15 Century, the nave of the church . Now the former transept was extended to the new nave and provided with a large tower . The church has been enriched over the centuries, with many chapels and furnishings . Since the last years of the sixth Century has been lost much of it , as Emmerich was involved in the war of the nearby Protestant Netherlands against the Spaniards.
More than 40 Years (1628 - 1672) , the church was used exclusively for the Reformed worship : sculptures , altars , murals and leaded- glass windows are then disappeared and only the magnificent , carved in oak choir stalls still reminds of the rich late Gothic interior .
The church has been rebuilt several times inside : Baroque by 1672 in a restrained, in the 19th Century in neo-Gothic style . 1937 - 1938 the equipment was reduced. After bombing , fire and shelling 1944 - 1945 The Church of 1948 - 1953 built as far as possible , but in very simple forms , again . After 1974 was followed by an expected until 1989 of restoration , which aims to restore the two most important phases in the history of construction of the church building , namely the Ottonian- Salian and the late Gothic .
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1030

Age of Church building determined by?: Church website

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
Steintor
emmerich am Rhein
Kleve, NRW Germany
46446


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
åda visited Martini Kirche, Emmerich am Rhein, NRW - Germany 12/28/2013 åda visited it
Moredale visited Martini Kirche, Emmerich am Rhein, NRW - Germany 12/13/2013 Moredale visited it

View all visits/logs