GFWC Lake Placid Woman's Club - Lake Placid, FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member xptwo
N 27° 17.872 W 081° 21.983
17R E 463745 N 3019480
Quick Description: The Lake Placid Woman's Club has been serving the community since 1928. They have been in this building since 1948.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 6/14/2013 6:23:57 AM
Waymark Code: WMHA8H
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BarbershopDru
Views: 1

Long Description:
The club is located at the corner of North Main Street and East Park Street in Lake Placid, Florida.

Some of their history follows, drawn from the web sites listed below:

"The Lake Placid Women’s Club was founded in 1928 by a group of civic-minded women who saw a need for charitable acts within the town of Lake Placid, Florida. Martha Middlebrook was the first President and the names of the forty charter members read like a “Who’s Who” of the pioneers of this small town, located at the south end of the Lake Wales Ridge. Dues for the first year were $1.00.

One of the first projects undertaken by this group of active ladies was to clean up DeVane Park, a plot of land created in the center of a road that formed a circle, with other streets taking off from there. The women dreamed of a rock garden inside the circle, but there were no rocks in Highlands County! Not daunted, the women brought rocks back from vacation trips until, in 1930, W. S. Sherman donated some coquina rock, and with $50.00 from the club, they made their rock garden.

The club met faithfully, first at the high school, then in the clubhouse at Lake June Park, later in the Methodist Church Annex, and still later in the Presbyterian Church until by 1948, they had saved enough money ($6,429.00) to build their clubhouse. Consolidated Naval Stores gave them three lots on Main Street and they bought the fourth for $175.00. The clubhouse, at 21 N. Main Street, was first used in September of 1948."

"The Club meets for lunch, a business meeting, and a speaker on the third Thursday of each month except June, July, and August.

The name of the club was changed in the Spring of 2001 to reflect their association with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, an International Federation. The name is now GFWC Lake Placid Woman’s Club."

The club does use its facilities for other purposes. The library was located in their building until 1985. The New Life Anglican Fellowship (of the Anglican Church in North America) meets there on Sunday mornings.
Date Created: 1/1/1928

Active Club?: Yes

Website Source: [Web Link]

Secondary Website Source: [Web Link]

Address:
10 North Main Street
Lake Placid, FL USA
33862


Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a waymark, provide an image of the building. A GPS or visiting waymarker does not need to be in the frame, but it helps. Please include details of the experience.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Woman's Clubs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.