1880s Temporary Capitol -- Austin TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
N 30° 16.340 W 097° 44.490
14R E 621051 N 3349632
Quick Description: The foundation stones of the temporary Texas State Capitol of the 1880s are preserved in a small plaza across the street.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 5/19/2013 4:04:53 PM
Waymark Code: WMH46K
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BarbershopDru
Views: 9

Long Description:
The waymark coordinates are at the Texas state historic marker about the remnants of this, the temporary state capitol of Texas from the 1880s. Before it was razed, this building also held the first classes of the University of Texas Law School.

The plaza preserves the foundation stones of the building, preserving its footprint across the street from the present pink granite Capitol building.

The historic drawing photo credit of the Temporary capitol belongs to the Austin Public Library.

From the Capitol Visitor Guide: (visit link)

"The Texas Capitol anchors the four blocks that surveyors designated as Capitol Square in 1839. The first Capitol structure on this site was completed in 1853. The three story, limestone building measured 140 feet by 90 feet and cost approximately $150,000 to construct. In early 1881, officials held a nationwide competition for the design of a grand new Capitol and declared Detroit architect Elijah E. Myers the winner. The 1853 Capitol went up in flames in November of 1881, and a temporary Capitol was built across the street from Capitol Square to house state government during construction of the new building."

The historic marker reads as follows: (visit link)

"Site of Temporary Texas State Capitol of 1880's

Built, 1882-1883, to replace the previous Capitol, which had burned in 1881. Until the building was completed, the orphaned Texas Government conducted business in the county courthouse and jail across Congress Avenue.

The three-story brick building--third Texas Capitol in Austin--was used five years. During this time it witnessed the passage of strong legislation to aid education and to halt fence-cutting, which, in 1883, had exploded into a range war. Governors John Ireland (1883-1887) and Sul Ross (1887-1891) both served in this building.

In 1883, the University of Texas held classes here for its 218 students until campus facilities were complete. On another occasion, cattle baron Charles Goodnight loaded $100,000 in cash in a wheel barrow and had it hauled to the capitol to force settlement of a land dispute, but officials refused his offer.

After the present Capitol was finished, 1888, this structure was used as home of Austin High School. Studios for music teachers, and for various offices. When it burned, Sept. 30, 1899, curious spectators sat on the fence around the new Capitol to watch volunteer firemen, hampered by low water pressure fight the blaze. The old building was razed soon after and the bricks were used in structures throughout Austin. (1967)" [end]
Type: Remnant

Fee: no

Hours:
24/7


Related URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Original photographs showing additional views of the Ruin/Remnant or even just its current condition are encouraged. Please describe your visit, especially if no additional photos are available. Did you like the Ruin or Remnant? What prompted you to see the Ruin or Remnant?
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point