Royal George Aqueduct - Grasscroft, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 53° 31.847 W 002° 01.775
30U E 564322 N 5931757
Quick Description: This aqueduct was built in 1797 to carry the Huddersfield Narrow Canal over the river Tame.
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/23/2012 4:29:19 PM
Waymark Code: WMFRGY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member PauloJota
Views: 1

Long Description:
The canal follows the route of the River Tame quite closely and at this point it was necessary to build a short aqueduct to carry the canal over the river.

It was made an English Heritage Grade II listed building in 1986. The aqueduct was designed by Benjamin Outram, the main engineer that surveyed the canal and worked out its route. It is made from hammer-dressed stone and has 2 skew segmental-arch spans.

The canal was originally built for goods traffic but had ceased operation by 1944. In the 1960s and 1970s canals had become popular with leisure boaters and many were restored. During the restoration of this canal the aqueduct had to be repaired before it could be used again. A new concrete lining was installed to keep it watertight. This Pennine Waterways website has a series of pictures showing the work carried out as part of the restoration.

The Huddersfield Narrow Canal
This canal is one of three that crosses the Pennine Hills and built to provide transport between Huddersfield in Yorkshire and Ashton-Under-Lyne in Lancashire.

As the name suggest it is a narrow canal that although was cheaper to build had less carrying capacity compared to the other two broad canals.

Work started on it in 1794 and partly due to the need to construct the longest canal tunnel in the United Kingdom it was completed 17 years later in 1811.
The canal is only 20 miles long and due to the nature of the terrain has 74 locks even though the summit tunnel reduced the required number of locks. The canal climbs 436 feet from Huddersfield and descends 334 feet to Ashton-Under-Lyne.

In theory having a summit tunnel to reduce the number of locks means that the journey times should be relatively short. However the tunnel does not have a tow path and when it was first opened it was necessary to lead the horses over the moor to the other end of the tunnel. Meanwhile it was necessary to leg the boat through the tunnel. This involved specialist workers who lay on their backs and used their legs with their feet against the tunnel wall to leg the boat through.

Competition from the railways led to the closure of the canal in 1944.

During the 1970s leisure boating in the U.K. had become popular and there were various campaigns to re-open canals that had lain derelict for a number of years.

Work on restoring this canal started in 1981 and the whole canal was finally reopened by 2001. These days the canal is only open to leisure boaters and with the re-opening of other connecting canals it is possible to travel far and wide.

However boats are restricted to maximum width of 6 feet 10 inches and a draught of 3 feet 3 inches which does restrict some boats that are used on the broad canals.
Related website: [Web Link]

When was it built?: 1/1/1797

Visit Instructions:
To log a waymark in this category visit it and share your thoughts about the visit. It would be nice to also see photos of the aqueduct.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Ancient Aqueducts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.