Mile End Lock - Regent's Canal, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 31.172 W 000° 02.171
30U E 705618 N 5711766
Quick Description: Mile End Lock is one of thirteen locks on the Regent's Canal that runs from Little Venice, in the north west, to Limehouse Basin in the south east.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/27/2012 11:20:29 AM
Waymark Code: WMEQHX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member cache_test_dummies
Views: 2

Long Description:
The lock, at this point on the canal, has a drop of eight feet when heading south to Limehouse Basin. For a vessel to navigate from Little Venice to Limehouse Basin there are various restrictions on size but none are imposed by this lock.

The Inland Waterways website (visit link) lists the restrictions:

Length 74' 0" (22.56 metres) - Hampstead Road Lock (No 1)
Beam 14' 6" (14.42 metres) - Hawley Lock (No 2)
Headroom 9' 2" (2.79 metres) - Mile End Road Bridge
Draught 4' 10" (1.48 metres) - cill of Johnsons Lock (No 10)

The same page also tells a little of the canal:

"The Regent’s Canal runs from the Paddington Arm of the Grand Union Canal at Little Venice to Limehouse Basin, which joins on to the Tidal Thames and Limehouse Cut.  It is 8.6 miles (13.8 km) long and has 13 locks.  The Regent's Canal is joined by the Hertford Union Canal between Locks 8 (Old Ford) and 9 (Mile End).  The Hertford Union Canal is 1.3 miles (2 km) long, has 3 locks and joins to River Lee Navigation just above Old Ford Locks. "

This PDF file also gives some historical background to the canal and locks:

"Within Tower Hamlets the canal passes through five locks Old Ford Lock, Mile End Lock, Johnson’s Lock, Salmon Lane Lock and Commercial Road Lock. Like the other seven locks, they were built with two chambers to allow two-way working. But in most cases, the chamber furthest from the towpath has been converted to a weir.

Johnson’s Lock is the only lock in the Regent’s canal to have retained its central paddle gear; and its upper pound contain the Conservation Areas only two surviving horse ramps. When horses worked along the towpath towing barges, they occasionally fell in the canal and the horse ramps were used for leading them back up to the towpath. Associated with some of the locks are the lock cottages these are small scale two storey stock brick buildings with slate roofs in the main.

The surviving lock-keeper’s cottages at Salmon Lane and Mile End date from 1864. Each had an attached single-storey boiler house with a steam pump maintaining the water level in the pound above the locks. A new system for keeping parts of the Locks at this end of the canal supplied with water was introduced in 1898. A 3-foot diameter back-pumping pipe was laid from a new pumping station on the River Thames to the pound above Mile End Locks. The massive pipe is still seen crossing the canal by Commercial Road Bridge where it continues under the towpath to the Mile End pound. "

Waterway Name: Regent's Canal

Connected Points:
Little Venice & Limehouse Basin (for the River Thames)


Type: Lock

Date Opened: 1/1/1820

Elevation Difference (meters): 2.00

Site Status: Operational

Date Closed (if applicable): Not listed

Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logs marked as “visits” should be made after physically visiting the waymark location. Include a picture taken during the visit. Notes may be logged by individuals who have visited the web site or looked at the online information and would like to provide comments or feedback on the waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Waterway Locks, Planes and Lifts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.