1890 - Hochstein School of Music and Dance - Rochester, NY
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sagefemme
N 43° 09.353 W 077° 36.964
18T E 287303 N 4781447
Quick Description: This building, at 50 N Plymouth Ave, Rochester, NY 14614 was built in 1890 as the Central Presbyterian Church. It has been the home to the Hochstein School of Music and Dance since 1975.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 1/26/2012 8:30:50 AM
Waymark Code: WMDKHC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team Sieni
Views: 2

Long Description:
Central Presbyterian Church

Established in 1836 as the Bethel Church, the Central Presbyterian Church took on its new name with its move to the corner of Church Street and Sophia Street (now Plymouth Avenue N.). The church was built on the site of the home of Quaker abolitionists, Isaac and Amy Post, who used their home as a station on the Underground Railroad, providing a safe haven for slaves passing on their way to freedom.

As the largest auditorium in Rochester at the time, the church was host to traveling preachers, lecturers, and visiting choirs and soloists. In 1895, it was the site of a massive funeral service for Frederick Douglass, and in following years it was the scene of citywide memorial services for President William McKinley and Susan B. Anthony.

In 1974, three of the City’s Presbyterian churches, including Central Presbyterian, merged to form the congregation of the Downtown United Presbyterian Church (also called Brick Church and located on North Fitzhugh Street). Soon thereafter, Hochstein School became the major tenant of the Central Presbyterian Church. With help from the Presbyterian Church, the United Way, and the Rochester Department of Community Development, $180,000 was contributed to repair the exterior of the building. An additional community fund drive raised $35,000 for minor remodeling of the interior before the school moved in. Hochstein school paid $1 for the building to own it outright in 1975.



Hochstein School of Music and Dance

David Hochstein, born in Rochester, New York on February 16, 1882 to Russian Jewish immigrants, Helena and Jacob Hochstein, was a remarkably talented violinist whose life was cut short and therefore his musical gift was withheld from the world. He received his first violin for his fifth birthday and began studying under Herr Ludwig Schenck in 1900. Around 1902 Emily Sibley Watson (daughter of Hiram Sibley, founder of Western Union) heard him play when he was visiting a friend (whose father happened to be prominent architect J Foster Warner) and sought to sponsor his music career.

David studied under Ottakar Sevcik in Vienna from 1909-1912, with the support of Mrs. Watson, and graduates from the Meisterschule with highest honors. He continued his studies in St. Petersburg, Russia from 1913-14 under Leopold Auer, considered to be the finest violinist of the time. His stay in Russia is financed by George Eastman, friend of Mrs. Watson and founder of Kodak.

Hochstein maked his Carnegie Hall debut in 1915 and performed as soloist with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra and Metropolitan Opera. Also performs in Boston, Chicago and throughout the U.S., as well as in London, Berlin, Dresden, and other European cities, all to rave reviews. He composed four pieces published in 1916-17 by noted New York publisher Carl Fisher. He also transcribes two works by Brahms, "Waltz in A minor" and "Waltz in A major."

But in October 1917, Hochstein joined the army and was assigned to the Infantry Division. He was a Second Lieutenant in October 1918 (battlefield promotion?), when he was killed in the Battle of Argonne.

Emily Sibley Watson, George Eastman and other Rochester patrons wer devistated by the loss. On April 5, 1919 Rochester musicians rallied together for a Hochstein Memorial Concert attended by an audience of thousands. Funds raised from the concert become the nucleus of support for a proposed Memorial Music School. A provisional charter was issued by the State of New York in 1920 for a school on Joseph Avenue. The school outgrew its original building, and moved to 12 Hoeltzer Street in 1928. By 1975, it had again outgrown its building. They became the principal tenant at the current location in the former Central Presbyterian Church on Plymouth Avenue. Shortly thereafter, they purchased the building for $1.

In 1976, the Hochstein school becames the first non-degree granting community school in the country to be awarded accreditation by the prestigious National Association of Schools of Music. The School is now one of only a handful of accredited institutional members of NASM.
Year of construction: 1890

Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Full inscription: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
HenriettaHeroes visited 1890 - Hochstein School of Music and Dance - Rochester, NY 10/14/2012 HenriettaHeroes visited it