Mosteiro de Santa Maria das Júnias - Pitões das Júnias
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MightyReek
N 41° 49.878 W 007° 56.559
29T E 587798 N 4631586
Quick Description: Amazing 900 years old monastery lost in the mountains.
Location: Vila Real, Portugal
Date Posted: 11/10/2011 2:25:14 PM
Waymark Code: WMD2N6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 5

Long Description:
Antecedentes

Este convento remonta a um antigo eremitério pré-românico, fundado no século IX, cuja implantação obedeceu a critérios de isolamento. Encontra-se num vale estreito, de difícil acesso e longe dos caminhos e de lugares habitados, inscrito em um grandioso fundo paisagístico.

Em contraste com outros cenóbios do Norte de Portugal, que no geral são possuidores de produtivos coutos, esta primeira comunidade de monges das Júnias dependia da pastorícia, fato que acentuou o seu carácter humilde e ascético.

O atual mosteiro

O atual mosteiro e seu templo anexo foram erguidos durante a primeira metade do século XII, antes mesmo da fundação da nacionalidade. Era então ocupado monges da Ordem de São Bento.

Em meados do século XIII, o mosteiro passou a seguir a regra da Ordem de Cister, ficado agregado à Abadia de Oseira, na Galiza.

Ao longo dos séculos, este mosteiro foi enriquecendo com a obtenção de terras na região do Barroso e na Galiza.

No inicio do século XIV, conheceu obras de manutenção e melhoramento em que se destaca a construção do claustro e a ampliação da capela-mor.

No início da Idade Moderna foram realizadas obras de elevação de algumas dependências do convento e da capela-mor do templo, entretanto destruídas pelo assoreamento provocado pelo ribeiro que corre junto à cabeceira do mesmo.

Na primeira metade do século XVIII, a igreja foi restaurada, a nível do madeiramento e do lajeamento, e redecorada com retábulos em talha dourada. A partir de meados desse século, entretanto, começou a entrar em decadência e acabou por perder monges e rendimentos.

Com a extinção das ordens religiosas masculinas (1834) o seu último monge passou a exercer a função de pároco de Pitões. Na segunda metade do século XIX, um devastador incêndio levou à ruína muitas das dependências conventuais.

O Mosteiro de Santa Maria das Júnias encontra-se classificado como Monumento Nacional pelo Decreto nº 37.728 de 5 de Janeiro de 1950.

Em 1986 a Direcção-Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais levou a efeito obras de recuperação e melhoramento.

Mais recentemente, em 1994 e 1995, o Parque Nacional da Peneda-Gerês promoveu uma intervenção arqueológica no claustro e na cozinha conventuais.

À igreja deste convento acontece uma romaria anual, a 15 de Agosto, a que acorrem gentes de Pitões das Júnias e de povoações vizinhas.

Características

Este mosteiro apresenta-se organizado segundo uma planta trapezoidal, encontrando-se a igreja implantada no lado norte a as dependências conventuais no sul.

As divisões do convento, em grande desmoronadas, compreendem dois corpos: o primeiro, paralelo ao riacho, era o dormitório dos monges. O segundo, que se encontra perpendicular ao primeiro, era onde se localizava a cozinha, que ainda mantém a sua chaminé piramidal.

Do antigo claustro românico só se conservam três arcos da galeria encostada à igreja. De volta perfeita, assentam em capitéis com decoração fitomórfica.

O templo tem nave única e uma capela-mor que é a estrutura mais bem conservada do cenóbio. Na frontaria, românica rematada por uma empena truncada por um campanário setecentista de dois olhais, abre-se um belo portal com arco de volta perfeita, com uma primeira arquivolta lisa e uma segunda, exterior, adornada com lancetas, por sua vez envolvida por um friso com decoração geométrica.

Os ábacos do arco foram decorados por motivos cordiformes, enquanto o tímpano apresenta, ao nível inferior, um dintel decorado com flores estilizadas cruciformes e, por cima deste, uma cruz de Malta vazada, enquadrada por perfurações circulares dispostas em triângulo.

Nas paredes laterais da nave rasgam-se dois portais simples, de tímpanos vazados por cruzes de Malta, semelhantes entre si, sendo rematadas por friso e cornija moldurada e percorridos, a meia parede, por um friso adornado com motivos geométricos, sob o qual se projectam mísulas, também estas enfeitadas por elementos geometrizantes. A janela axial da ousia mostra a sobreposição do estilo gótico ao românico inicial.

Numa janela lateral da ousia, voltada a norte, uma curiosa estátua jacente de um monge é interpretada pela população como sendo o marco da cota máxima transbordos do rio ao longo dos séculos.

No interior conserva-se um friso ornamentado que percorre a nave à altura das janelas. O arco triunfal, de duas arquivoltas lisas apoiadas em ábacos boleados, é enquadrado por dois retábulos de talha. Na capela-mor, dispõe-se um retábulo-mor com uma elaborada composição em talha.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Background

This convent dates back to an ancient pre-Romanesque hermitage, founded in the ninth century, which it followed the criteria of isolation. It lies in a narrow valley, difficult to access and away from roads and dwellings, enrolled in a grand landscape background.

In contrast to other monasteries of northern Portugal, which are generally possessed of productive hunting grounds, this first community of monks depended on the grazing of Junia, a fact which accentuated his humble character and ascetic.

The current monastery

The current monastery and a temple annex was built during the first half of the twelfth century, even before the founding of the nation. It was then occupied the monks of the Order of St. Benedict.

In the middle of the thirteenth century, the monastery began to follow the rule of the Cistercian Order, been added to the Abbey of Oseira in Galicia.

Over the centuries, this monastery was enriched with the acquisition of land in the Barroso region and Galicia.

At the beginning of the fourteenth century, known maintenance and improvement works which highlights the construction of the cloister and the enlargement of the chancel.

In early modern works were performed for the lifting of some dependencies of the convent and chapel of the temple, though destroyed by siltation caused by the brook that runs along the head of it.

In the first half of the eighteenth century, the church was restored, both the timber and lajeamento and redecorated with gilded altarpieces. From the middle of this century, however, began to go downhill and ended up losing monks and income.

With the extinction of male religious orders (1834) spent his last monk to perform the duties of pastor of Pitons. In the second half of the nineteenth century, a devastating fire caused the ruin of many dependencies convent.

The Monastery of St. Mary of Junia is classified as a National Monument by Decree No. 37728 of January 5, 1950.

In 1986 the Directorate-General for National Buildings and Monuments has carried out works of restoration and improvement.

More recently, in 1994 and 1995, the Peneda-Geres promoted an archaeological intervention in the cloister and the convent kitchen.

The church of this convent an annual festival takes place on 15 August, the people who come to the Junia Pitons and nearby towns.
Features

This monastery has been organized according to a trapezoidal, being established in the church to the north side dependencies convent in the south.

The divisions of the convent, a large collapsed involve two bodies: the first, parallel to the creek, was the monks' dormitory. The second, which is perpendicular to the first, where was located the kitchen, which still retains its pyramidal chimney.

The old Romanesque cloister are preserved only three arches of the gallery leaning against the church. Perfect round, based on phytomorphic decorated capitals.

The temple has a single nave and chancel which is the best preserved structure of the monastery. In front, topped by a gabled Romanesque truncated by an eighteenth-century bell tower of two nozzles, opens a portal with beautiful round arch, with a first and a second archivolt smooth exterior, adorned with lancets, in turn surrounded by a frieze with geometric decoration.

The abacus of the arch were decorated for reasons cordiform, while the eardrum has, the lower level, a lintel decorated with stylized flowers cruciform, and above this, a hollow cross of Malta, framed by circular perforations arranged in a triangle.

The side walls of the nave ripping two portals simple, timpani leaked by crosses of Malta, similar to each other, and surmounted by frieze and cornice moldings and driven, the half wall, a frieze decorated with geometric motifs, under which projecting corbels, also adorned by these geometric elements. The window shows the axial ousia overlapping home to the Romanesque Gothic style.

Ousia of a side window, facing north, a curious recumbent statue of a monk is interpreted by the public in March as the maximum quota overflow of the river over the centuries.

Inside is preserved an ornate frieze that runs the height of the nave windows. The triumphal arch, two abacuses archivolts supported by smooth rounded off, is framed by two engravings. In the chancel, has become a main altarpiece with an elaborate carved composition.
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Mosteiro de Santa Maria das Júnias

Address:
Pitões das Júnias, Vila Real Portugal


Religious affiliation: Saint Bennedict Order later Cister Order later Local Church

Date founded/constructed: 1147

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Restored Ruin

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Kelux visited Mosteiro de Santa Maria das Júnias - Pitões das Júnias 11/6/2011 Kelux visited it
paulohercules visited Mosteiro de Santa Maria das Júnias - Pitões das Júnias 10/4/2009 paulohercules visited it

View all visits/logs