The Sault Locks - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member lp5324
N 46° 30.785 W 084° 21.026
16T E 703253 N 5154468
Quick Description: The Sault locks are located on Canal Street in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 7/27/2008 11:52:06 AM
Waymark Code: WM49ZY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member cache_test_dummies
Views: 95

Long Description:
The first lock was built in 1798 by the Nothwest Trading Company. It was destroyed in 1814 in an attack by the U.S. The current Canadian lock, the only Soo Lock on the Ontario side, was built in 1895. It broke down in 1987 and a new lock was built within the old lock. The lock was reopened in 1998 and is used for recreation and tour boats. It is 76 meters long, 16 meters wide and 3 meters deep.
The Sault locks are a well developed tourist site that offers viewing stands to watch the locks at work and tour boat trips through the locks. It is now designated a National Historic Site of Canada (see: Sault Ste. Marie Canal).

The Sault Ste. Marie Canal is a National Historic Site of Canada in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. The canal is part of the shipping route from the Atlantic ocean to Lake Superior and includes a set of locks to bypass the rapids on the St. Marys River.
The construction of the canal and lock was completed in 1895. At that time it was the largest lock and first electrically operated lock in the world. The canal is about 1.6 km (1 mile) long and originally the lock portion was 274 m (899 ft) long and 18 m (59 ft) wide.
It broke down in 1987 and a new lock was built within the old lock. The lock was reopened in 1998 and is now 77 m (252 ft) long, 15.4 m (50.5 ft) wide and 3 m (10 ft) deep.
The canal is used for recreational and tour boats; major shipping traffic uses the American Soo Locks.

There are several heritage buildings on the site: the Administration Building, Superintendent's Residence, Canalmen's Shelter, Powerhouse, and Stores/Blacksmith Shop, all constructed from red sandstone dug up during the canal's construction. Most of the original machinery used to operate the lock is also still in place. Another unique feature of the site is the emergency swing bridge dam.

Guided tours are available in the summer only. The visitor centre is open year round.

Waterway Name: St. Marys River

Connected Points:
Lake Ontario and Lake Superior


Type: Lock

Date Opened: 01/01/1895

Elevation Difference (meters): 6.00

Site Status: Operational

Date Closed (if applicable): Not listed

Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logs marked as “visits” should be made after physically visiting the waymark location. Include a picture taken during the visit. Notes may be logged by individuals who have visited the web site or looked at the online information and would like to provide comments or feedback on the waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Waterway Locks, Planes and Lifts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Cdn Howlers visited The Sault Locks - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada 8/2/2012 Cdn Howlers visited it
bunyanpaul visited The Sault Locks - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada 9/18/2011 bunyanpaul visited it
HB31 visited The Sault Locks - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada 8/10/2011 HB31 visited it
Timo Explorer visited The Sault Locks - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada 4/16/2011 Timo Explorer visited it
Treknschmidt visited The Sault Locks - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada 9/17/2010 Treknschmidt visited it
Norshley visited The Sault Locks - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada 9/13/2010 Norshley visited it
The 4 Taylors visited The Sault Locks - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada 8/7/2010 The 4 Taylors visited it
stagunner visited The Sault Locks - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada 8/4/2008 stagunner visited it
mTn_biKer65 visited The Sault Locks - Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada 7/3/2005 mTn_biKer65 visited it

View all visits/logs