Warsaw Public Library - Warsaw, New York
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Szuchie
N 42° 44.547 W 078° 07.949
17T E 734708 N 4736202
Quick Description: A Carnegie Library in Warsaw, New York!
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 1/26/2008 7:19:54 PM
Waymark Code: WM31TH
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 13

Long Description:
The Warsaw Public Library was built in 1906 due in part to a $10,000 donation from Andrew Carnegie. Today the library provides both print and non-print materials and services to community residents to help meet their informational and recreational needs. The library is committed to identifying user groups with special needs and providing special collections and services to these individuals.

According to the historical timeline detailed on the library's website:

1903- The Warsaw Board of Education contacted Andrew Carnegie requesting funds for a new Library Building. Interest in a separate building was expressed as far back as 1898. The land where the Library is now located was donated by the Honorable Augustus Frank.

December 12, 1903- The Town Board became involved. Mr. Carnegie's personal secretary was contacted. He reported that if the town voted to raise $1,000 a year for Library upkeep, Mr. Carnegie would donate $10,000 for the building.

January 26, 1904- The special town vote was nearly unanimous in favor of the new Library, 390 for and 16 against according to the Western New Yorker, and 173 for and 16 against according to the Warsaw Town Board Minutes. The Board of Education would donate the Library Corporation to the Township. The circulating Library consisted of 5,381 volumes valued at $5,000.

March 10, 1904- The Warsaw Town Board appointed a Library Board consisting of: Mrs. Agnes M. Frank, John B. Smallwood, N.S. Beardslee, W.H. Cheney, I.B. Smith, and S.B. Whitlock.

April 29, 1905- Mrs. Augustus Frank formally deeded the property at Main and Court Streets to the Town of Warsaw.

May 1904- The Library Board received its Charter from the New York State Board of Regents and the authority to build a Library.

May 14, 1905- The architect Albert Randolph Ross (1869-1948) toured the site.

June 16, 1905- The first sod was turned for construction.

May 1906- The Library opened with no formal ceremony.
Address of Library Building:
130 N. Main Street
Warsaw, NY USA
14569


Current Use of Building: Library

Year Built (optional): 1906

Website about building: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To log a waymark in this category:

1. Please provide at least one photograph of the building. Additional photographs are encouraged.

2. Describe your experience.

No additional visit instructions will be added for individual waymarks. Additional instructions will result in waymark being declined.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Carnegie Library Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.