By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Hampton Court Palace - London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 24.212 W 000° 20.341
30U E 685081 N 5698060
Quick Description: Hampton Court Palace is a royal palace in south west London next to the River Thames. This year, 2015, the palace has its 500th anniversary. The main entrance to the palace is from the west.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/23/2015 11:50:17 AM
Waymark Code: WMNR6J
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:

Hampton Court Palace is Grade I listed with the entry at the Historic England website telling us:

Palaces are large residential complexes ranging in date from before the Norman Conquest to the post-medieval period. Medieval palaces were designed to accommodate the household of a sovereign, a close relative of a sovereign, an archbishop or a bishop. They served the dual purposes of residence and the exercise of administration, and therefore usually comprise a series of buildings, including a great hall, which was used both for hospitality and for meetings, a chapel, private apartments, offices and service buildings such as kitchens and brewhouses. Commonly, especially from the 14th century, these buildings were arranged around one or more courtyards, and many palaces were enclosed by walls and/or a moat as a mark of status as well as defence. Medieval palaces are characterised by the finest craftsmanship in construction and furnishing and by an innovation in architectural style, often as a result of contacts with foreign monarchs and clergy. All examples are associated with individuals and events of historical importance. Royal and episcopal courts were mobile in the medieval period and required a number of palaces, both in towns and in the country, although most were located within easy reach of the City of London. Less than 200 medieval palaces have been identified in England. As a rare monument class which provides an important insight into the lives and characters of a group at the apex of medieval European society, all examples with significant surviving remains are considered to be of national importance.

Hampton Court is one of the most significant and best preserved royal palaces in Britain. It exhibits some of the finest craftsmanship and greatest innovation in English architecture. The west front of the palace is perhaps the grandest of its date. The terracotta medallions by Giovanni da Majano are among the earliest manifestations of the Italian Renaissance in England.

The later alterations are also of huge interest. The late 17th century rebuilding work was one of the grandest schemes of Sir Christopher Wren and the east façade is probably the most famous expression of the Baroque Style in England. The sash windows of the palace are among the earliest known. The 18th century restorations by William Kent are an extremely early example of the works of the Gothic Revival. The site is of paramount historic importance as an estate of The Knights Hospitallers, the home of Cardinal Wolsey and a royal residence. Henry VIII spent more resources on Hampton Court than any other royal palace. It was a residence to many of his queens and the birthplace of Edward VI.

The archaeological remains on the site are integral to our understanding of the development of the palace. Partial excavation has shown that remains of the 12th century grange, 15th century house and many Tudor buildings survive below-ground. The site holds a high degree of potential for further investigation and will contain archaeological and environmental information relating to its occupation, use and history.

The monument includes a Tudor royal palace and gardens situated on a flood plain on the north side of the River Thames opposite the confluence with the River Ember at Hampton.

The palace was constructed as the residence of Cardinal Thomas Wolsey from 1514, on the site of a 12th century grange and late 15th century house built by Giles Daubeney. The remains of these earlier buildings survive below-ground and in the structure of the present palace. It was altered and enlarged after it was acquired as a royal palace by Henry VIII in 1528. Major additions and alterations were carried out in the 17th and 18th centuries before it was ‘restored’ during the Gothic Revival in the 19th century. The original Tudor ranges are Perpendicular in style and built of red brick with freestone dressings and roofs covered with lead, tiles and slate. However much of the Baroque alterations from the late 17th century are of Portland stone and red brick. The palace is orientated broadly west-east and is centred on four main courtyards. From west to east, leading through the palace, are the Base Court, Clock Court and Fountain Court. On the north-east side of the palace, adjacent to the Fountain Court, is Chapel Court. There are several smaller courtyards surrounded by service buildings along the north side of the palace. These include, from west to east: the Lord Chamberlain’s Court, the Master Carpenter’s Court, Fish Court, Great Hall Court and Round Kitchen Court.

The main approach to Hampton Court Palace is from the west. It runs diagonally, parallel with the Thames, towards the west front and is entered through the 17th century Trophy Gates (renewed 1780). These include four stone piers topped with lead figures of the lion and unicorn as well as trophies of arms. On the north side of the approach road is a long range of two storeys; the Barrack Block. It dates from 1689 and is constructed in brown brick with red brick dressings and pantile roofs. There are casement windows with timber mullions and transoms to each floor and tall chimneys rising above the roof line. The grassed area to the south towards the Barge Walk contains the buried remains of the 16th century service buildings which were demolished in the 19th century. The approach leads to the west front of the palace, which is symmetrical with a three-storey gatehouse at its centre and two wings either side.

The Great Gatehouse is approached by a stone bridge across a moat. The bridge has stone shield-bearing beasts (1950s replacements of Tudor originals) adorning the parapets. The red brick gatehouse was originally five storeys high but was altered in the 18th century. Above the arched gateway is an oriel window, featuring a panel with the arms of Henry VIII, and an openwork parapet flanked by pinnacles. On each side are two-light mullioned windows and octagonal turrets. The wings are of a darker red brick with diapering of vitrified brick and have mullioned windows largely of four-lights. The whole range has an embattled parapet and tall, restored, chimneys with cut-brick shafts. These striking chimneys adorn much of the rest of the palace, including the Base Court, the Clock Court and the north service ranges.

The Base Court is surrounded on the north, south and west sides by Wolsey's two-storey battlemented lodgings ranges. The windows are largely of three-lights with four-centred heads. On the east side of the courtyard, adjacent to the Great Gatehouse, is Anne Boleyn’s Gateway. Above the archway is an oriel window with a panel of Henry VIII’s arms, another mullion and transom window, and a clock brought by William IV from St James's Palace. In the octagonal turrets on each side are terracotta roundels. These feature elaborate busts of the Roman emperors and are part of a set designed by Giovanni da Majano in 1521. There are also two on the opposite side, four on the east gateway of the Clock Court, and two on the turrets of the Great Gatehouse. Behind the north range of the Base Court are three small 16th century courtyards; Chamberlain’s Court, the Master Carpenter’s Court, and the Fish Court. These include the kitchens, with large fireplaces, ovens and serving hatches, necessary to feed the Tudor household.

Beyond the Base Court is the Clock Court. Facing into the courtyard is the east side of Anne Boleyn’s Gateway, which houses an astronomical clock made by Nicholas Oursian in 1540 and below it a restored terracotta panel of Wolsey’s arms. On the north side of the quadrangle is the Great Hall built in 1532-5 to replace Daubeney's Hall. The cellar is lit by a series of small windows, above is an expanse of brickwork and then five four-light transomed windows with four-centred heads. These are separated by lofty buttresses topped with gilded vanes. In the east bay is a large oriel window attributed to Wolsey, featuring a pair of windows each with five transoms. The ends of the hall have eight-light traceried windows and smaller windows in the gables. The interior includes an impressive hammer-beam roof enriched with carving, colour and gilding and featuring sixteen great pendants along its length. In the east bay, lit by the oriel window, is an intricate fan vaulted ceiling. Beneath the Great Hall is the King’s Beer Cellar, which is divided by rows of octagonal posts and has a stone pier supporting the hearth in the hall above. The south side of the Clock Court is fronted by a 17th century colonnade of Portland stone with a cornice and balustrade upon which are two trophies and vases. Behind the colonnade is a well-preserved Tudor façade and above it are 17th century round-headed windows. The east side of the Clock Court includes an entrance feature by William Kent. It is an early example of the Gothic Revival restoration and is of a similar appearance to the Tudor gatehouses with octagonal towers, embattled parapet and transom and mullion windows. However above the arched entrance is a lancet window decorated with quatrefoil tracery. Fountain Court was designed by Sir Christopher Wren in the late 17th century to replace an earlier courtyard. At ground floor level is a Portland stone arcade and cloister walk and above this are three levels of windows and stone dressings set in red brick. At first floor level are tall rectangular windows topped by pediments. Above these are circular windows on three sides but in the south side are circular panels depicting the Labours of Hercules, painted by Louis Laguerre in 1691-4. In the attic storey are small square windows and above is a balustrade. The interior contains state apartments and lodgings for courtiers.

North of the Fountain Court is Chapel Court, which has Tudor brickwork to the ground floor and a turret with a lead cupola in the north-east corner. In the east range was originally Henry VIII’s tennis court but this was replaced in the late 17th century by royal lodgings. The south range accommodates the Chapel Royal, which was remodelled in the 18th century but retains a 16th century timber lierne vaulted ceiling. The reredos, featuring Corinthian columns supporting a broken segmental pediment, was carved by Grinling Gibbons in the early 18th century. Between Master Carpenter’s Court and Chapel Court are the Great Hall Court and Round Kitchen Court. On the north and east side of Round Kitchen Court are two-storey cloister walks with four-light windows. On the west side is Henry VIII’s Great Watching Chamber. It has a semi-circular bay window and a panelled ceiling with shields at the intersections of the moulded ribs.

The east front of the palace is a late 17th century Baroque design by Sir Christopher Wren. It is constructed of red brick and Portland stone and is 23 bays wide. At the centre is a seven bay ashlar-faced symmetrical projection, the central three-bays of which also extend forward. Running along the façade at ground floor level are segment-headed windows and above these are, in sequence, tall rectangular windows, small round windows, small square attic windows and a balustrade. The three middle bays have square-headed gateways above which are Corinthian half-columns supporting a pediment. The two bays each side have Corinthian pilasters supported by piers. The central pediment is carved with a relief of ‘The Triumph of Hercules over Envy’ by Caius Gabriel Cibber. Below this, over the middle window, is a composition of trumpet, sceptre and crown, incorporating William III and Mary II’s monogram.

The south front of the palace is similar to the east elevation and includes the same type of window designs. It is 25 bays wide with a four bay projection at each end. At the centre is a stone composition with Corinthian columns supporting a cornice inscribed ‘Gulielmus et Maria RR.F’ to commemorate the rebuilding by William and Mary. Above several of the first floor windows are small pediments, swags of fruit, and royal arms.

On the south-west side of the palace is a 17th century single-storey orangery. It is built of red and brown brick with a pitched slate roof and sash windows. In the perimeter wall south of the palace is a small single-storey banqueting house. It is built of brick with a semi-circular split pediment on the consoles around the doorway, sash windows and a castellated parapet. Adjacent to The Broad Walk on the north side of the palace is a 17th century covered tennis court. It is built of brick with 18th century clerestory windows and a hipped tiled roof.

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.