By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St. Leodegar - Grenzach-Wyhlen, BW, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 33.345 E 007° 39.701
32T E 399314 N 5267793
Quick Description: The evangelical church of Grenzach was built during the 15th century.
Location: Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Date Posted: 4/23/2015 8:09:06 AM
Waymark Code: WMNR66
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 0

Long Description:
The church St. Leodegar is located in the north of Grenzach. The oldest parts of the building date back to the 15th century.

A priest in Grenzach was first documented in 1275, and a church around 1360 to 1370. The current building was mainly created during the 15th century. This work was in progress for several decades. The late gothic steeple base is dated 1408, the choir has an inscription from 1426 and it was finally inaugurated in 1481.

The church was extended and modified several times, around 1507, after the Thirty Years War, in 1835 and 1954.

During the renovation of 1997/98 a tympanon was discovered that even dates back to the 12th century, so the church is much older than we know from the documents.

The church joined the reformation and became a Lutheran church in 1556.
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.