By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri ~ Waverly, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 39° 12.802 W 093° 31.023
15S E 455362 N 4340581
Quick Description: "The Countrey about this place if butifull on the river rich & well timbered on the S S ..." ~ William Clark, June 17, 1804
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 4/21/2015 8:17:20 AM
Waymark Code: WMNQTY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member A & W
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of marker: Lafayette County
Location of marker: foot of Main St., Port of Waverly, Waverly
Marker erected by: Missouri Department of Natural Resources, the City of Waverly & The Lewis & Clark Trails Association

Marker text:
  "The Countrey about this place is butifull on the river rich & well timbered on the S[tarboard or right] S[ide]
  about two miles back a Prarie com[mence]s which is rich and interspursud with groves of timber, the
  Count[r]y rises at 7 or 8 miles Still further back and is roleing -- on the L[arboard of left] S[ide] the
  high lands & Prarie Com[mence]s in the bank of the river and Continus back, well watered and abounds
  in De[e]r Elk & Bear...."
  William Clark, June 17, 1804

On June 16, the Lewis and Clark Expedition passed present-day Waverly in a flotilla consisting of a keelboat and two pirogues. The men were keeping an eye out for good timber with which to replace their oars that had worn out from use in the nearly daily battles with swift lower Missouri River. Capt. William Clark went ashore in the vicinity of "Snag" (Cranberry) Island to scout for trees to make oars out of, and to look for any trace of an old French Fort. He failed to find any remnants of the fort or suitable oar material.

During his walk, Clark struck the bank next to a difficult section of the river that was a gauntlet of rolling water and deadly shifting sandbars. It the boats could not pass this stretch, they would have to fall back several miles. He immediately called this stretch of the river the "worst I ever saw" (this was the fourth time in as many days that he made such a statement). The expedition managed with difficulty to get through. They then pitched camp on the northern (right) shore just above the site of present-day Waverly.

The next day the crew only went another mile before stopping to make new oars and a new towrope. At this "rope walk camp," Clark noted that he "Sent out Sjt. [Nathaniel] Pryor and Some men to get ash timber for ores, and Set Some men to make a Toe Rope out of the Cords of a Cable which had been provided by Capt. Lewis at Pittsburg..." During their two-day stay here, Clark measured the speed of the river and found that in the swiftest part it was roaring along at 23.66 miles per hour.

Many of the men were now experiencing health problems such as boils and dysentery related to the effects of drinking river water and of receiving numerous mosquito and tick bites that caused infections. Clark was angry with the complaints of the French engagés, who wanted more rest stops, and referred to them as "French higherlins." But he felt growing admiration toward his enlisted soldiers who endured the hardships of the journey without complaint.

FORT ORLEANS
On June 16, William Clark searched for the remains of an old French fort noted on a map that Lewis and Clark carried with them on the expedition. This map was made in 1797 by a Scotsman working for the Spanish named James Mackay. This map showed the location of a "vieus [old] fort" nearly opposite the abandoned sites of the "ancient villages" of the Little Osage and Missouri Indian tribes, which were also noted on Mackay's map. The old fort Mackay referred to was Fort Orleans, established in 1723 by Entienne de Bourgmont in an effort to establish trade with the Missouri Indians. The site was in present-day Carroll County above the mouth of the Grand River, but to this day the exact location of the fort has never been determined with certainty.

"Must Sees"at this location":
A new park on Main St, but not much else in this small river town.


Date Waymark Created: 1/1/2000

Do they allow dogs at this location?: Yes

Rate this waymark as to importance:

Visit Instructions:
Visits only will be logged if there is a picture of the individual at the location, with their GPS in hand submitted as proof of the visit or not having a camera, the person making the find must submit a reasonable "proof" of having visited the site. Examples include: Two or three sentence quote from historical/interpretive signage at the location; adequate descriptive language about the location that provides evidence of a visit; verification by another party present at the find; e-mail sent from the location of the waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lewis and Clark Trail
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.