By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Gravensteen - Leiden (NL)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Axel-F
N 52° 09.476 E 004° 29.216
31U E 601716 N 5779646
Quick Description: Former city prison in the centre of Leiden.
Location: Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Date Posted: 4/9/2015 1:18:35 AM
Waymark Code: WMNNJP
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 0

Long Description:
Het Gravensteen werd gebouwd in het begin van de dertiende eeuw. Het diende als (privé-)gevangenis van de graven van Holland, die zelf regelmatig in de naastgelegen versterkte hoeve (Huize Lokhorst) woonden. In 1463 schonk Filips de Goede het pand aan de stad Leiden, waarna het de functie van stedelijke gevangenis en gevangenis voor Rijnland kreeg. Doodstraffen werden vanaf dat moment op het plein voor het Gravensteen, het huidige Gerecht, ten uitvoer gebracht. In 1556 werd het Gravensteen uitgebreid met een cellenblok dat nog steeds intact is. In 1598 werd de gevangenis voorzien van een tuchthuis en in 1655 van een spin- en rasphuis (zie rasphuis (Amsterdam)). Ten slotte werd in 1672 een nieuwe vierschaar (de plaats waar rechtgesproken werd) aangebouwd. Aan het eind van de negentiende eeuw raakte het gebouw steeds meer in onbruik. De laatste doodstraf werd hier in 1853 voltrokken.

In 1955 kreeg het Gravensteen een nieuwe functie: het gebouw werd een boekenmagazijn. Al spoedig veranderde de functie van het gebouw opnieuw. De Universiteit Leiden kampte met ruimtegebrek en nam het gebouw in gebruik. Met name de afdeling rechtsgeschiedenis van de juridische faculteit vond hier onderdak op een historierijke plek. Sinds 2006 was het International Office van de universiteit Leiden in dit gebouw gevestigd, sinds 2011 afdeling Studenten en Onderwijszaken (niet te verwarren met de studentenbalie die zich in een ander gebouw bevindt). Ook de redactie van het universiteitsblad Mare huist in het gebouw.

English abstract:
This former prison was built in the early thirteenth century. It served as a (private) prison of the counts of Holland. In 1463 Philip the Good donated the property to the city of Leiden, after which it became the urban jail of Leiden and prison for Rhineland district. Death sentences were from that moment on implemented. In 1556 it was extended with a, still intact, cell block. The last death sentence was carried out here in 1853.
In 1955, the prison got a new feature: the building became a library, but soon the function of the building changed again. Leiden University was faced with a lack of space and took the building in use. In particular, the department of the Faculty of Law took shelter here. Since 2006, the International Office of the University of Leiden was located in this building. Since 2011 the Student and Educational Affairs Division (not to be confused with the student desk which is located in another building) I housed here.
Address:
Pieterskerkhof 6
Leiden, The Netherlands
2311SR


Open to the public: No

Hours: Not listed

Fees?: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
In order to add a new log to the waymark of this category, simply take another photo of the prison from a different angle than the other posts. Also add to the history of the jail when possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Retired Prisons
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.