By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St Matthew - Harwell, Oxfordshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 51° 35.866 W 001° 17.389
30U E 618450 N 5717688
Quick Description: St Matthew's church, Harwell, in the village centre, has an aisled nave, W tower and transepts of c.1190-1220, chancel c.1300, nave aisles heightened c.1300. Remains of a 11thc. nave were excavated to W of present church in 1962-63.
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/7/2015 12:54:16 PM
Waymark Code: WMNN7A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 0

Long Description:
"Saint Matthew may date from the 11th century. In 1962 The Times reported that walling had been found west of the tower indicating where a former nave had been. The herringbone layering of the masonry suggested that an 11th-century date is likely. At the same time a pewter chalice from about 1200 was found.

The present nave, east of the tower, was built in about 1200. This second nave has north and south aisles with three-bay arcades. The west tower may have been begun at the same time, but its Early English Gothic bell openings suggest that it may not have been finished until the middle of the 13th century.

The Decorated Gothic chancel is early 14th century and has a five-light east window. The rood screen is probably of the same date, but the screen's Perpendicular Gothic top is later.

The tower has a ring of eight bells. Joseph Carter, who was Master bellfounder at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry and also had a foundry at Reading, cast the fourth bell in 1590 and the seventh bell in 1597. William Yare of Reading cast the third and fifth bells in 1611 and the sixth and tenor bells in 1612. John Taylor & Co of Loughborough cast the treble and second bells in 1932, completing the present ring. St. Matthew's has also a Sanctus bell cast by Robert I Wells of Aldbourne, Wiltshire in the 18th century. There is a single-handed clock on the tower's west face.

In 1975 a two-storey extension was built on the north wall which now contains a parish office. A new church hall was built in 1994."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.