By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

700 Main Street - Eudora, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 56.789 W 095° 05.924
15S E 318121 N 4312931
Quick Description: This two-story red brick building is located at 700 Main Street in Eudora, Ks.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 4/3/2015 11:43:11 AM
Waymark Code: WMNMDC
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Four For All
Views: 0

Long Description:
From the Kansas Historical Resource Inventory:
(visit link)

"Historic Name:
Original Kaw Valley State Bank

Alternate Name:
Old Kaw Valley State Bank

Historic Function:
Commerce/Trade

Subcategory:
Financial Institution

Historic Function Remarks:
Originally, the bank operated in the north part of the first floor, a general store was in the south, and the basement housed a barber shop in this 100,000 brick building (with water initially channeled by compressed air). It now has a unit to the east, two to the south (701 1/2, 702), and a private residence upstairs that was originally the Lothholz Opera House (also known as Lothholz Hall or Opry House that operated until the 1930s). The opera hall, lit with acetylene gas lights as the rest of the building, had an 8-foot by 30-foot stage with 300 seating capacity. Its motto was: Protum Transimus Oceanus Prae Nos Patet (We have crossed the bay, the ocean lies before us.) Later, the space housed professional offices, e.g., those of J.G. Lee, physician, and J. H. Duffy, dentist, in 1915 and dentist L.C. Cox in 1925, and even classrooms in 1918 when the new high school didn't open on time. Before the bank was built, an unsightly frame building that extended into the alley here housed the Eudora Elevator Company office (1892), John Hagenbuch notary public service, (1892-?), and Schubert furniture store (1881 to around 1890) and earlier, Christian Fischer operated a tin shop and furniture store here a few years until 1881. Slightly east was Schubert and Meineke Coal Company, and, in 1889, Kraus & Abels bought the coal business of P.D. Meineke after his death.

Present Function:
Commerce/Trade

Present Function Remarks:
In recent years, the former bank area, which still contains the original vault, has housed Madame Hatter's Tea Room (2002-2009), Westminister Tea Room (2001- 2002), Traditions furniture store (1999-2002), three video stores (circa1996-1998), dental clinic, Community Baptist Church, [Delmar Alpers'] The Key restaurant (1970s), and Keith Murphy's] Gilded Cage tavern (1961-1966). The basement housed other businesses, e.g., Fred Ziesenis, Jr. shoe shop (1942-1946), Groves Café (1918-1919), George Fullers' pool hall and barber shop (circa 1908), and Tarleton & Smith billiard hall (circa 1903). Northeast section of 700: Currently not used as a store area, it used to house Diana Breithaupt beauty salon (1990-1996), ice cream parlor (circa 1980s), [Helen Everley's] antique store (1980s), and a grocery (early 1900s). 700 1/2: Entrance to residence. 702/704: This area has been used by Curves, a fitness franchise (2006-2008); HomeTown Dollar general store (2004-2005); Custom Frame Cart framing service (2003); Broers flower shop (1983-2001); Starlight Tavern (1970s); post office (1920s-1962); confectionary (circa 1912); Joseph Schopper's shooting gallery first door south of Kaw Valley bank (1911); and E.L. Cooper watchmaking ship (circa 1909).

Residential/Commercial/Religious Style:
Richardsonian Romanesque/Romanesque Revival

Physical Description/Remarks:
Originally built to be a bank (lower floor) and opera house (second floor), this building has a recessed door to the upstairs south of the original building and store area to south facing the main sidewalk with a recessed door flanked by display windows on either side. Above the building's arched door with two simple columns and accessed by four steps is a pediment with decorative scales forming a narrow front panel detailed with a contrasting alternate golden brick- red brick vertical pattern. An arch decorative with lower dentils rests at the front panel's topmost location. Arched windows on the front, first-story sides are bricked in at the building rear. Eight, double-hung, second-story windows are on either side of the front panel with its own identical window above the main door. Windows on both stories have a rough stone sill. The façade's second-story windows have 36-square checkerboard decorative units separating them from the building top. Side walls slightly extend above the flat roof with three chimney-type projections on the north, one on the south.

Plan Form:
Rectangle

Commercial Building Type:
Two-Part Commercial Block

Roof Form:
Flat with Parapet

Stories:
2

Condition:
Good

Principal Material:
Brick

Year of Construction:
1896

Certainty:
Documented

Date Notes:
Source: Bank anniversery booklet, news articles

General Remarks:
Charles Lothholz was responsible for construction of building. Lothholz put a foundation in on this site in early 1896 for his bank that encompasses the southeast corner of Seventh and Main Street, but didn't start constructing his red-pressed brick Kaw Valley State Bank building with buff colored water table midway until 18 months later. The upstairs has been used as a residence since 1980, according to real estate advertisements, and probably earlier. It has a rear entrance and deck."
Marker Name: 700 Main Street

Marker Type: Other (Please identify in marker text)

Marker text:
Marker located to the right of the entrance. Signage for historic buildings along Main Street was developed by the Eudora Area Historical Society in 2012. Text of the marker:
700 MAIN STREET
Completed in 1897, Charles Lothholz was responsible for construction of this building. The original businesses at this location included the Kaw Valley State Bank, a general store and a barber shop. The second story with a 250-seating capacity was known as the Lothholz Opera House and used for performances and events. The building was also home to the post office, restaurants, medical offices and furniture stores.


Marker Location: Douglas

Year Marker Placed: 1/1/2012

Name of agency setting marker: Other (Please identify in marker text)

Official Marker Number: Not listed

Marker Web Address: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
No log instructions provided.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Kansas Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.