By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Eudora IOOF Lodge No. 42 - Eudora, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 56.763 W 095° 05.940
15S E 318097 N 4312884
Quick Description: This two-story red brick Italianate building is located at 711 Main Street in Eudora, Ks.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 3/31/2015 6:49:53 PM
Waymark Code: WMNKYH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
From the Kansas Historic Resource Inventory:
(visit link)

"Historic Function Remarks: Eudora Lodge Number 42, International Order of Odd Fellows, organized in March 6, 1869. The members bought the two-story brick building for $1,500 from Charles and Caroline Lothholz and received the property deed in 1878. The lower half long was a pharmacy and barber shop: Alf T.H. Oleson Rexall pharmacy (lower floor) (1946-1961); Cliff Pingry barber shop (1945-1955); Chet Daum's barber shop (1942-1945); Tom Rickett's barber shop (1940-1942); shoe repair services (1919-1925); [Charles Noell and D. Sheldon, both of Medicine Lodge] barber shop (1913-?); Alonzo Mack barber shop (8 months in 1913); Homer White Rexall pharmacy (1903-1944); John Kennedy pharmacy (1895-1903) (Kennedy built an oil house in rear of store in 1899); and McShane & Scott pharmacy (1893-1895).
Present Function: Commerce/Trade
Subcategory: Professional
Present Function Remarks: Downstairs, Miller Agency Insurance has been in space since 1980s, and earlier Tornedon Tax Service (1970-1981+); Medical Devices Corps (1967-1975+).
Residential/Commercial/Religious Style: Italianate
Physical Description/Remarks: This building has an ornate projecting cornice and projected arched window caps indicative of commercial Italianate style dominant between 1850-1875.
Plan Form: Rectangle
Commercial Building Type: Two-Part Commercial Block
Roof Form: Flat
Stories: 2
Condition: Good
Principal Material: Brick
Condition Remarks: The first story is made of stone; however, the front has a brick facade.
Architect/Designer/Builder:
Year of Construction: 1870
Certainty: Estimated
Date Notes: The building has been standing before 1878 and may have originally been one story. An early newspaper said
General Remarks: The Odd Fellows have owned this building for 130 years. Recently, they began having their meetings elsewhere because members had a hard time climbing the steps."

Text of historic marker:

711 MAIN STREET
IOOF LODGE NO. 42 BUILDING


This building was constructed in the early
1870's and became home to the Eudora
Chapter of the International Order of
Odd-Fellows, a fraternal organization first
chartered in 1869. As of 2012 the Odd-Fellows
continue to own this building and hold
regular meetings in their lodge hall on the
second story. They have rented out the first
story to various businesses over the years,
including many pharmacies.
Public/Private: Private

Tours Available?: no

Year Built: 1870

Web Address: http://khri.kansasgis.org/index.cfm?in=045-3588

Visit Instructions:
An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category. No GPS in photos, please.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Houses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.