By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

711 Main Street - IOOF Lodge No.42 Building - Eudora, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 56.763 W 095° 05.940
15S E 318097 N 4312884
Quick Description: This two-story red brick building is located at 711 Main Street in Eudora, Ks.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 3/31/2015 5:59:03 PM
Waymark Code: WMNKY8
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Four For All
Views: 1

Long Description:
From the Kansas Historic Resource Inventory:
(visit link)

"Historic Function Remarks: Eudora Lodge Number 42, International Order of Odd Fellows, organized in March 6, 1869. The members bought the two-story brick building for $1,500 from Charles and Caroline Lothholz and received the property deed in 1878. The lower half long was a pharmacy and barber shop: Alf T.H. Oleson Rexall pharmacy (lower floor) (1946-1961); Cliff Pingry barber shop (1945-1955); Chet Daum's barber shop (1942-1945); Tom Rickett's barber shop (1940-1942); shoe repair services (1919-1925); [Charles Noell and D. Sheldon, both of Medicine Lodge] barber shop (1913-?); Alonzo Mack barber shop (8 months in 1913); Homer White Rexall pharmacy (1903-1944); John Kennedy pharmacy (1895-1903) (Kennedy built an oil house in rear of store in 1899); and McShane & Scott pharmacy (1893-1895).
Present Function: Commerce/Trade
Subcategory: Professional
Present Function Remarks: Downstairs, Miller Agency Insurance has been in space since 1980s, and earlier Tornedon Tax Service (1970-1981+); Medical Devices Corps (1967-1975+).
Residential/Commercial/Religious Style: Italianate
Physical Description/Remarks: This building has an ornate projecting cornice and projected arched window caps indicative of commercial Italianate style dominant between 1850-1875.
Plan Form: Rectangle
Commercial Building Type: Two-Part Commercial Block
Roof Form: Flat
Stories: 2
Condition: Good
Principal Material: Brick
Condition Remarks: The first story is made of stone; however, the front has a brick facade.
Architect/Designer/Builder:
Year of Construction: 1870
Certainty: Estimated
Date Notes: The building has been standing before 1878 and may have originally been one story. An early newspaper said
General Remarks: The Odd Fellows have owned this building for 130 years. Recently, they began having their meetings elsewhere because members had a hard time climbing the steps."
Marker Name: 711 Main Street - IOOF Lodge No.42 Building

Marker Type: Other (Please identify in marker text)

Marker text:
This marker is located on the left side of the building. Signage for historic buildings along Main Street was developed by the Eudora Area Historical Society in 2012. Text of the marker:
711 MAIN STREET IOOF LODGE NO. 42 BUILDING
This building was constructed in the early 1870's and became home to the Eudora Chapter of the International Order of Odd-Fellows, a fraternal organization first chartered in 1869. As of 2012 the Odd-Fellows continue to own this building and hold regular meetings in their lodge hall on the second story. They have rented out the first story to various businesses over the years, including many pharmacies.


Marker Location: Douglas

Year Marker Placed: 1/1/2012

Name of agency setting marker: Other (Please identify in marker text)

Official Marker Number: Not listed

Marker Web Address: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
No log instructions provided.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Kansas Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.