By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Former convent of Franciscan-Bernardine nuns / Vilniaus buves Bernardinu (Klarisiu) vienuolynas (Vilnius)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 54° 40.962 E 025° 17.506
35U E 389871 N 6060823
Quick Description: Complex of former convent of Franciscan-Bernardine nuns with Church of of St. Michael the Archangel (Šv. Arkangelo Mykolo bažnycia ir bernardiniu vienuolynas) houses nowadays Church Heritage Museum.
Location: Hlavní město Praha, Czechia
Date Posted: 3/30/2015 6:19:56 AM
Waymark Code: WMNKMN
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 12

Long Description:

Complex of former convent of Franciscan-Bernardine nuns with Church of of St. Michael the Archangel (Šv. Arkangelo Mykolo bažnycia ir bernardiniu vienuolynas), is rare example of Renaissance ecclesiastic architecture in Lithuania, houses nowadays Church Heritage Museum.

The Church of St. Michael the Archangel was built by the Chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Leonas Sapiega between 1599-1629 for a convent of Franciscan-Bernandine nuns, and also to serve as a family mausoleum. The construction lasted for thirty years, and the consecration ceremony took place on September 8, 1629. During the war with Moscow the Convent was burned and plundered by Cossacks, however, was restored between 1663 and 1373. The separate Baroque church's bell tower was built in the 18th century. In tsarist times the Church was closed down, but returned to the Sapiega family in 1903 and restored through their efforts. Later the Church was repaired once again.

The Renaissance Franciscan-Bernardine most interesting part is the south eastern block with massive counterforts, linked by the brick wall from beneath. Before the street was laid, the territory of the Monastery was stretched down to the Vilnia River.

In 1956 the Church opened as the Museum of Architecture. The interior of the Church is various and of great interest. The early 17th-century marble altar and a few 17th-century tombstones have survived. The one commemorating Leonas Sapiega and his two wives is the largest memorial in Lithuania. In 2009 the Church opened as the Church Heritage Museum (Bažnytinio paveldo muziejus).

Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Former convent of Franciscan-Bernardine nuns / Vilniaus buvęs Bernardinų (Klarisių) vienuolynas

Address:
Bažnytinio paveldo muziejus / Church Heritage Museum
Šv. Mykolo gatve 9
Vilnius, Lithuania
01124


Religious affiliation: Roman Catholics, Franciscan (Bernardine) order

Date founded/constructed: 1599-1629

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.