By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Bates County Courthouse – Butler, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 38° 15.471 W 094° 19.951
15S E 383416 N 4235264
Quick Description: Bates County Courthouse located in Butler, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 3/24/2015 8:33:04 PM
Waymark Code: WMNJQB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:
"The Bates County Courthouse, 1 North Delaware Street, is located on the courthouse square in downtown Butler, Missouri. It was designed by George E. McDonald of Lincoln, Nebraska, and was completed in 1902. The 2 1/2-story, plus raised basement, Richardsonian Romanesque-style building is constructed of natural faced Carthage limestone. It features a central tower and four corner pavilions, all with ogee-shaped roofs. Both the north and south facades feature central pavilions with low pediments and elaborate recessed entrances. The east and west facades have stepped gables with less elaborate entrances to the first floor and into the raised basement. A clock is in each side of the tower. The plan is rectangular with slightly projecting corners and central salients. The building's exterior generally retains integrity although the tower was simplified below its ogee roof and sided with gold-colored material in 1974. For energy efficiency, the original wood sash windows have been replaced with metal frame windows in their original openings, and entrances have been similarly treated. The square, a Shelbyville type, contains one contributing and two noncontributing objects. The contributing object, a Doughboy statue erected in 1927 in memory of the county's World War I veterans, is on the northwest corner of the courthouse lawn. On the east side of the square, a marker honoring the county's veterans and a gazebo are nonhistoric and are counted as noncontributing, but they are typical objects found on courthouse squares throughout Missouri...

Because of its central role in Bates County history, the Bates County Courthouse reflects events that have shaped the lives of its citizens. The rivalry between communities for the coveted county seat, the changing role of the county court in local government, and the use of a building's appearance as a way of emphasizing the importance of law and local government all come into play. In addition, the Bates County Courthouse is an impressive example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style that dominated Missouri courthouse architecture during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and more specifically it is a good and well-preserved local example of George E. McDonald's courthouse architecture in Missouri." – National Register nomination

The building is in excellent condition and continues to serve as the county courthouse. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
Year Built: 1902

Current Use of Building: County Courthouse

Level of Courts: County

Architect: George E. McDonald

Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1902 – present

Physical Address:
1 North Delaware Butler, Missouri


Related Website: [Web Link]

Hours: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Courthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.