By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Kloster Maria Birnbaum - Sielenbach, Bayern, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member luzzi-reloaded
N 48° 23.612 E 011° 09.731
32U E 660054 N 5362299
Quick Description: Kloster Maria Birnbaum - Sielenbach, Bayern, Germany
Location: Bayern, Germany
Date Posted: 3/13/2015 2:23:11 AM
Waymark Code: WMNGMD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:
[ODE]

Die barocke Kirche Maria Birnbaum wurde zwischen 1661 und 1668 von Constantin Bader im Auftrag von Philipp Jakob von Kaltenthal, dem Komtur des Deutschen Ordens im benachbarten Ort Blumenthal, erbaut. Die Wallfahrtskirche „Unserer Lieben Frau im Birnbaum“ wurde der Mutter Gottes mit den sieben Schmerzen geweiht. Die erste Kuppel-Kirche nördlich der Alpen erinnert an byzantinische Bauten, doch spielten italienische Einflüsse beim Bau von Maria Birnbaum eine große Rolle.

Schwedische Soldaten verstümmelten 1632 ein Marienbild, das in der Nähe aufgestellt war, und warfen es in einen Teich. Ein Dorfhirte aus Sielenbach fand es und stellte es in einen hohlen Birnbaum. 1659/60 ereigneten sich dort Wunderheilungen und die Wallfahrt setzte ein. Daraufhin wurde die Kirche um den Birnbaum erbaut, der 1671 abstarb. Das Gnadenbild befindet sich am Hochaltar, in einer Höhlung des Baumstammes. Der Stamm ist hinter dem Altar zu sehen.

Seit 1867/68 bewohnten die Kapuziner das Kloster. 1998 übernahm der Deutsche Orden wieder die Wallfahrtskirche. Er renovierte das Konventgebäude und errichtete eine Wallfahrtsgaststätte sowie einen Klosterladen, um die Wallfahrt wieder zu beleben. 2001 wurde zudem das Noviziat der deutschen Brüderprovinz nach Maria Birnbaum verlegt.


[EN]

The baroque church Maria Birnbaum, was built in 1661-1668 by Constantin Bader on behalf of Philipp Jakob von Kaltenthal, the commander of the Teutonic Order in the neighboring district Blumenthal. The pilgrimage church of "Our Lady in the pear tree" was dedicated to Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows. The first domed church north of the Alps reminiscent of Byzantine buildings, but played Italian influence in the construction of Maria Birnbaum an important role.

Swedish soldiers mutilated 1632 painting of Mary, which was set up in the area, and threw it into a pond. A village shepherd from Sielenbach found it and turned it into a hollow pear tree. 1659/60 occurred there miraculous healings and the pilgrimage began. Then, the church was built around the pear tree, the died out in 1671. The statue is located on the high altar, in a hollow of the tree trunk. The trunk can be seen behind the altar.

Since 1867/68 the Capuchin inhabited the monastery. In 1998, the German Medal again the Sanctuary. He renovated the convent building and built a pilgrimage restaurant and a monastery shop to revive the pilgrimage again. 2001 also the novitiate of the German brothers province was moved to Maria Birnbaum.

Source:Wikipedia
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Kloster Maria Birnbaum

Address:
Maria Birnbaum Straße
Sielenbach, Bayern Germany


Religious affiliation: Kapuziner

Date founded/constructed: zwischen 1661 und 1668

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Acitvely Used

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
luzzi-reloaded visited Kloster Maria Birnbaum - Sielenbach, Bayern, Germany 3/17/2015 luzzi-reloaded visited it