By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Avilla Gas Station - Relocated To - Red Oaks II - Carthage, Missouri, USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member veritas vita
N 37° 12.769 W 094° 16.608
15S E 386710 N 4119244
Quick Description: This former Phillips 66 Station was built in the 1920s and was originally located in Avilla, MO. It was moved later to Red Oak II which is a relocated Town with original vintage 1920's buildings, created by artist Lowell Davis over the last decade.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 3/11/2015 1:27:41 AM
Waymark Code: WMNGA0
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Town of Red Oaks II is the home of Lowell Davies, he loves talking to his visitors from all over the World.
A must visit, whimsical Route 66 roadside attraction, near Carthage, Missouri.
Take a stroll through the past in the number One ranked tourist attraction in Carthage. Red Oaks II is a unique, quirky & whimsical, village with many sculptures & odd ball attractions, amongst real working vintage building's the Church even holds service's, & has The Oldest Standard Oil Gas station along Route 66. Also a Phillips Gas station.

I think this is the by far the best attraction along the Missouri section of Route 66, & a photographers dream location.

From the Roadside America Web site:
"Lowell Davis has moved an entire pioneer Missouri town from its original site, 25 miles away, and reassembled it as Red Oak II. Heralded by roadside Burma Shave-style signs, the buildings there have been preserved as a credible replica of a crossroads town, circa 1929, and include an antique Phillips 66 gas station, a general store, a blacksmith's shop, a feed store, a town hall, a one-room school house, an old country church, and a cemetery.
The town also includes a streetcar diner, Belle Starr's home, and the oldest surviving Standard Oil gas station from Route 66." Text Source: (visit link)

From the Legends of America Web Site:
"A couple of miles northeast of Carthage, Missouri and just off Route 66 is Red Oak II – a ghost town, but not really. But, it has authentic old buildings, and an old cemetery, and it looks like a ghost town. Well, it is and it isn’t.

Red Oak II was actually the brainchild of artist Lowell Davis who grew up in the "real” Red Oak, Missouri, about 18 miles northwest of the "new” Red Oak II. The original Red Oak, like many other rural agricultural towns across the country, started to fade sometime after World War II, when people began to move to the cities in earnest.

After Davis had left the area for a number of years, he returned in the 1970’s to find his home town had become a ghost town." Text Source: (visit link)

Hours of Operation:
9am to 5pm daily

Present Location: Kafir Road, Carthage, Missouri, USA.
Original Location: N 37° 11.724 W 094° 07.680

How it was moved: Disassembled

Type of move: City to City

Building Status: Museum

Related Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relocated Structures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
veritas vita visited Avilla Gas Station - Relocated To - Red Oaks II - Carthage, Missouri, USA 3/12/2014 veritas vita visited it