The Church of St.Thomas of Canterbury - Camelford, Cornwall, England
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 50° 37.420 W 004° 40.622
30U E 381376 N 5609319
Quick Description: St Thomas' Church in the centre of Camelford is relatively modern (1938).
Location: South West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/8/2015 3:06:38 AM
Waymark Code: WMNFTK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 1

Long Description:
"A chapel in honour of St Thomas à Beckett was licensed by Bishop Stapeldon in Camelford on 4th January 1312 as that of St Thomas the Martyr. In this was a chantry, which was dissolved during the reformation of 1538; however, the remains were still standing in the beginning of the 18th century."
"As the former church of St.Thomas was destroyed over four centuries ago, Camelford had been without a church for that period; the church people had to walk three miles to Lanteglos church to worship. Work on the new church was started in 1937; it was built in the centre of town overlooking the river Camel and is constructed of Delabole stone with slate from the same quarries. On August 6, 1938 the church of St.Thomas was consecrated by the Bishop of Truro. Among gifts donated to the new church was an ancient font by the Cowlard family of Launceston."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Active Church: Yes

School on property: No

Date Built: 1/1/1937

Service Times: Not listed

Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the Church. Please try to keep your GPSr out of the photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Anglican and Episcopal Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.