By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Fort Dodge-Camp Supply Military Road - near Bloom, KS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 37° 29.458 W 099° 53.252
14S E 421540 N 4149709
Quick Description: The road passed west of this marker and ended at this marker: WMNAJ6
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 3/7/2015 6:03:59 AM
Waymark Code: WMNFN4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member thebeav69
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of road: Ford County
Location of mark: US 54, rest area east of Bloom
Marker erected by: Kansas State Historical Society and Department of Transportation

Marker text: The Fort Dodge-Camp Supply Military Road passed several hundred feet west of this marker. The route was established in 1868 during General Philip H. Sheridan's winter campaign against Indians in Texas and the Indian Territory. This ungraded prairie trail, approximately 90 miles long, was important for transporting supplies from Fort Dodge and Dodge City to Camp (later Fort) Supply, in present Oklahoma, and was an important link in the communications system of western outposts. In the 1880's, a government telegraph line was erected along the route of the trail. In Clark Counry, two 50-foot square fortifications (redoubts) were built to house cavalry patrols assigned to keep the mail and supply route open, In the 1870's and 1880's, the military road served as a branch of the Western trail over which cattle were driven from Texas to Dodge City and beyond. The present road between Bloom and Ashland follows the route of The Fort Dodge ~ Camp Supply Military Road


"On November 12, 1868, Colonel George A Custer of the Seventh Cavalry, left his camp six miles east of Dodge City on the Arkansas River, marching five miles south to Mulberry Creek, where he joined General Alfred Sully and the infantry with the supply train. At this point there were about eleven hundred men in the force. This force of military men maintained a steady march, covering twenty miles on the 13th, and eighteen miles on the 14th, crossing Cavalry Creek and coming into camp on Bear Creek. On the 15th, snow and chilling winds slowed the column, only making eleven miles, to the Cimarron River. On the 16th, the command marched eighteen miles south and then completed nine more miles south/southwest to Beaver River. During the afternoon guides discovered the trail of an Indian party estimated to be about 150 warriors. On the 17th, another trail was found. Later this trail was determined this was the trail of Sully from the previous September. Sixteen miles were covered that day as the troops moved east of Beaver River. On November 18, a fifteen mile march brought the full command to Wolf Creek at its confluence with Beaver River. General Field Orders No. 8, Headquarters, District of the Upper Arkansas, named the spot Camp Supply.

  "The next few days were spent building a military post. Stockades to protect from a surprise raid from the Indians were erected, a blockhouse, storehouse and wells were dug. Building crews laughingly referred to the name Camp Supply as a "misnomer, for while there was a partial supply of everything, there was not an adequate supply of anything."

  "A reporter from the New York Herald by the name of Keim observed that the post in its finished condition on December 4, 1868 was:

Dec 26, 1868
  "Of sufficient strength to be defended by a small force against any number of warriors that may undertake to attack it. The north and west fronts consisted of a stockade; the east and south are made up of warehouses for stores. At the northeast and southwest angles are platforms sweeping all sides of the fort, and at the northwest and southeast angles are block houses with loopholes. From all points the rifles of the troops have a range of at least 800 yards."
~ Harper's Weekly about the Fort Dodge/Camp Supply Road

Road of Trail Name: Fort Dodge ~ Camp Supply Military Road

State: Kansas

County: Ford County

Historical Significance:
Open up the land for western movement and army cleansing of the native irritations - as they called it then


Years in use: 17 years

How you discovered it:
Headed home from a Texas trip using US 54 through Kansas and there it was in this very well kept and large roadside park


Book on Wagon Road or Trial:
The Wagon-Road Economy in the Dodge City-Panhandle Region By C. Robert Haywood


Website Explination:
http://www.santafetrailresearch.com/research/fort-supply-oklahoma.html


Why?:
US mail, stagecoaches, and most important military supplies to out on the fringe western m army forts. Later became a branch of the Western Trail cattle drive route


Directions:
US 54 east of Bloom about a mile, in a large roadside park


Visit Instructions:
To post a log for this Waymark the poster must have a picture of either themselves, GPSr, or mascot. People in the picture with information about the waymark are preferred. If the waymarker can not be in the picture a picture of their GPSr or mascot will qualify. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Pictures must be of high quality (no cell phone pics)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wagon Roads and Trails
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.