By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Sanger Depot - Tioga, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 27.332 W 096° 55.273
14S E 693203 N 3703721
Quick Description: At 1965 Ray Roberts Parkway (US 377) Tioga, TX, Cedar Depot occupies the former Sanger Depot, which was moved here from Sanger in 1999.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 3/5/2015 3:15:29 PM
Waymark Code: WMNFF7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Crystal Sound
Views: 0

Long Description:
"Around Sanger," from the Images of America series, has a few photos of this depot, which was Sanger's second after a fire destroyed the first one along with much of Sanger in 1890. There is even one of the depot on its journey to its present location in Tioga, as well as an "after the move" photo which shows the relocated depot up on blocks. A Texas Historical Marker was dedicated on 9/11/2010 at the original site of the depot in Sanger, and provides some background:

Sanger originated in 1886 at Mile Post 392.16 as a water stop along the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Route leading north from Fort Worth to Purcell, Indian Territory (now Oklahoma). The stop's proximity to north Denton County cattle ranches and to the Chisholm Trail lead the railroad to construct a side track, cattle pens, loading chute and depot.

Mrs. Elizabeth Bullock Huling, who had sold the property for the railroad stop, soon hired surveyors to plat a townsite surrounding it. Mrs. Huling donated land for a wagon yard, well, school, town square, cemetery and Methodist church. A saloon, blacksmith shop and the Ready Hotel, which housed the first post office, opened shortly thereafter. The town, originally known as Huling, and later New Bolivar, was officially named in honor of Sanger Brothers, a prominent Texas dry goods firm. The town was incorporated in 1892.

When an 1890 fire destroyed much of Sanger, the railroad rebuilt expanded facilities. The 1897 establishment of the Sanger Mill and Elevator Company, home of Silk Finish Flour, helped to transition Sanger to a farming community. Cattle continued to drive the economy until two meat packing plants were built in Fort Worth ca. 1900, and ranchers began trucking cattle to market. World War II increased rail traffic at the depot and operations were taken over by women as men went to war. Although passenger rail service later ended, the town of Sanger, which got its start as a railroad water stop, continues to grow and prosper.
Original Location: N 33° 21.738 W 097° 10.179

How it was moved: Wheels / Dolly / Truck

Type of move: City to City

Building Status: Private

Related Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relocated Structures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.