By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Castlegar's First Police Detachment - Castlegar, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 19.562 W 117° 40.070
11U E 451473 N 5463915
Quick Description: Adjacent to Castlegar's Railroad Museum is another museum, this one housed in the first building in Castlegar dedicated solely to police work.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 2/1/2015 5:19:44 PM
Waymark Code: WMNAN2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member 8Nuts MotherGoose
Views: 0

Long Description:
When the first police came to Castlegar, they were the British Columbia Provincial Police (BCPP), the force being created on November 19, 1858. The force began with a single policeman to patrol 360,000 square miles and eventually grew to a force 520 strong. On August 15, 1950 the BCPP was absorbed by the RCMP, who remain the police force in Castlegar today.

The building which houses this museum was the original police detachment, which was originally located on Columbia Avenue just a block east of its present location. It served as office and jail for the constables stationed in Castlegar over its 25 years of active service. It was in use from 1934 to 1959 and was witness to the change from BCPP to RCMP ownership. In 1994 the building was rescued and relocated to its present position beside the RR Museum. It was renovated, police artefacts installed and became the museum we see today. The original jail cells remain in the building, as well as many artefacts donated by the family of the the first police constable in Castlegar, Constable George MacAndrew.

Museum

George MacAndrew, Castlegar's First Policeman

Constable George MacAndrew came to Castlegar in 1932 as a member of the B.C. Provincial Police. In this position he was responsible for law enforcement from Genelle to Broadwater and all areas in between. His first office was located above West's Department Store but in 1934 the detachment was moved to this building which sat adjacent to the married living quarters where he and his wife lived at No. 20 Columbia Ave (see early map of Castlegar on display for location).

We have on display here one of his old uniforms and accessories, some of the tools of his trade, a couple of photos and certificates and items he kept from his time here, generously donated by his family. It is said that MacAndrew had a particular fondness for Castlegar and the surrounding area and he even came back here in his retirement years. For more information on MacAndrew please see the displays and personal interview on display here.
From a plaque within the building

Original Location: N 49° 19.611 W 117° 39.936

How it was moved: Wheels / Dolly / Truck

Type of move: Inside City

Building Status: Museum

Related Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relocated Structures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.