By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St. Anne's Convent of Mercy -- Fort Smith AR
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
N 35° 22.950 W 094° 25.085
15S E 371198 N 3916385
Quick Description: A beautiful former convent, now converted into a parish school in downtown Fort Smith AR.
Location: Arkansas, United States
Date Posted: 1/20/2015 10:50:45 AM
Waymark Code: WMN8RW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
This gorgeous red brick turreted Neo Gothic convent for the Sisters of Mercy was built in 1903. The last sister left the convent in 2001, at which time the old convent was converted for use by the Immaculate Conception parish.

The convent used to have an associated school also named St. Anne's, which was torn down in the 1970s.

From the book Fort Smith by Kevin Jones, available from Google Books: (visit link)

"St Anne's Convent of Mercy faces Rogers Avenue directly behind the Church of the Immaculate Conception. This 1903 convent was the third convent structure for the Sisters of Mercy in Fort Smith. Irish clergy established St. Patrick's Parish in the 1840s, with the first parochial school, St Anne's Academy, opening in 1853. The 1903 convent was built near the site of Pres. Zachary Taylor's home. Taylor was commander of Fort Smith for a time before his service as a general in the Mexican War and his Presidency. After an 1875 fire destroyed the home, which served as a convent and school for a time, a grotto was established in the remains of the chimney. The chimney still stands today, as does this 1903 structure, but renovations are needed to prevent the building from falling into ruin. "

From the Arkansas Catholic website: (visit link)

"Fort Smith parish digs for presidential history

Did Zachary Taylor live on current grounds?

Published: January 13, 2007

By Maryanne Meyerriecks
Fort Smith Correspondent

FORT SMITH -- When the Immaculate Conception Church Ladies' Auxiliary decided to do some landscaping on the grounds of St. Anne's Building in spring 2004, they had no idea what they would dig up.

"While we were planting the flowers, we discovered some items buried by the chimney," auxiliary member Joyce Cokely said.

The chimney and fireplace is all that remains of a 1800s "weather-boarded log house" that sat on the parish grounds. Deacon Ray Brust, then the parish business manager, contacted the Arkansas Archeological Society.

In March 2005, a team led by University of Arkansas at Fayetteville station assistant Jerry Hillard conducted a weeklong excavation, uncovering thousands of artifacts.

Several published histories of Fort Smith indicate that U.S. President Zachary Taylor, then an Army general, lived in a two-story frame house for three years while supervising the construction of Fort Smith. The chimney was attached to a separate kitchen/ dining room log house. The Army headquarters included 10 other buildings, most made of logs.

Many parishioners hoped the recovered artifacts would provide concrete evidence of his residence. But after the artifacts were examined, the archeological society indicated that they were all from the period 1853 to 1905. Taylor lived in Fort Smith from 1841 to 1844 and died during his presidential term in 1850.

What was found instead was a wealth of artifacts from the Sisters of Mercy.

According to "Arkansas Frontiers of Mercy," a history book written by the Sisters of Mercy with Jane Ramos in 1989, the sisters were recruited by Bishop Andrew Byrne to come to the Arkansas wilderness and minister to fledgling communities of Irish Catholics in Little Rock, Fort Smith and Helena.

Bishop Byrne bought 640 acres in Fort Smith -- the land that had comprised Camp Belknap during Taylor's residency -- and looked for 1,200 to 1,300 lay people and five to eight Sisters of Mercy to colonize the land.

The group left Naas, Ireland, to begin life in western Arkansas. According to a University of Arkansas-associated Web site, ProjectPast.org, the group of sisters left Little Rock by steamboat on Jan. 19, 1853, and spent their first night in Fort Smith at Camp Belknap.

They quickly ascertained that President Taylor's previous residence would make an ideal convent and school called St. Anne Academy.

"Every single sister volunteered to come to America, even though they knew they would never be able to come home again, but Bishop Byrne was only able to bring five sisters," said Sister Mary Sarto Gaffney, RSM, a native of Ireland who now lives at McAuley Convent in Barling.

Sister Sarto was one of the last to live at St. Anne Convent in 2001 before it was converted for parish use.

They established two schools, one for girls and one for boys, as well as catechism classes and instruction for adults.

In 1859, Bishop Byrne returned to Fort Smith with a number of Irish postulants, and a novitiate program commenced there.

When Civil War broke out in 1860, it was difficult for the sisters to run their boarding schools in Fort Smith, Helena and Little Rock. Several hundred Arkansas Confederate troops occupied Fort Smith on April 23, 1861, in opposition to the United States Army.

As the war escalated, money and food were in short supply, and travel was unsafe. The sisters continued to operate their schools with reduced enrollments, eventually expanding their ministry to open infirmaries to treat wounded soldiers, both Union and Confederate.

The biggest challenge for the Sisters of Mercy in Fort Smith came after the final battle for Fort Smith on Aug. 24, 1864, when Confederate General Samuel Cooper tried to drive Union forces from the town and was repulsed.

The sisters set up a hospital and cared for all soldiers with equal compassion.

By that time, there were few students remaining. Those who remained could not afford tuition. The few boarders at St. Anne were joined by large numbers of homeless children whose fathers had died during the war and whose mothers had succumbed to illness because of hard work and deprivation.

Immaculate Conception Church was not established on the site until 1867.

The recovered artifacts bear witness to the order's medical ministry during the Civil War. There are many bottles of patent medicine, including a number of Liquizone bottles, composed of 99 percent water and 1 percent hydrochloric acid. There are also whitening and bluing agents and a washboard.

A number of rosaries and crucifixes were recovered, along with part of a cast-iron prayer kneeler.

Archeologists speculated that a cartridge for the Webley pocket revolver, circa late 19th century, might indicate that the sisters armed themselves when traveling on the frontier.

By 1875, the Zachary Taylor House was destroyed by fire and a new school was constructed. The original Zachary Taylor kitchen/St. Anne Academy building was torn down by 1903, but the chimney was saved and converted in 1904 into a three-sided natural stone grotto honoring Mary and the saints.

It was at this site, 130 years later, that the Ladies' Auxiliary uncovered the artifacts from the order's many years of ministry.

The artifacts were first displayed at Fort Smith's Frontier Fest Oct. 28-29.

The items have generated so much interest that Frontier Fest committee member and Ladies Auxiliary member Cokely hopes they can be permanently displayed soon.

"We are working on setting up a permanent museum for Immaculate Conception Church in St. Anne's Building," Cokely said. "And the Sisters of Mercy, who contributed so much to our Catholic history here, will have a special exhibit."
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: St. Anne's Convent of Mercy

Address:
1414 Rogers Ave
Ft Smith, AR


Religious affiliation: Roman Catholic

Date founded/constructed: 1853/1903

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Acitvely Used

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Benchmark Blasterz visited St. Anne's Convent of Mercy -- Fort Smith AR 1/21/2015 Benchmark Blasterz visited it