By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Augustiner-Chorherren-Doppelstift Merxhausen, HE, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member André de Montbard
N 51° 13.730 E 009° 15.618
32U E 518175 N 5675304
Quick Description: [DE] Das ehemalige Kloster Merxhausen ist eine gotische Klosteranlage im Ortsteil Merxhausen von Bad Emstal in Nordhessen -- [EN] The former monastery Merxhausen is a gothic monastery complex in Merxhausen, Part of Bad Emstal, HE.
Location: Hessen, Germany
Date Posted: 1/18/2015 5:03:48 AM
Waymark Code: WMN88Y
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:
From german wikipedia:

[DE]

Im Jahre 1213 ist in Merkeshusen die Klosterstiftung der Herren Hermann und Dietrich von Blumenstein von Dörnberg durch den Erzbischof von Mainz als Augustiner-Chorherren-Doppelstift belegt. Im Stiftungsbrief vom 3. November 1213 heißt es: ”... an dem Ort, der früher Merkereshuse, jetzt Feld des heiligen Johannes heißt, ...In eben diesem Orte haben sich, ..., auch einige fromme Frauen mit einigen Brüdern niedergelassen...”. Der neue Name Johannisfeld setzte sich jedoch nicht durch, und schon wenige Jahre später wurde der Name Merkereshusen wieder verwendet.

Erzbischof Siegfried III. von Mainz inkorporierte 1242 dem Kloster die Kirche in Offenhausen und die Kapelle in Riede. Nach 43-jähriger Bauzeit wurde die Klosterkirche am 29. August 1256 durch den Mainzer Weihbischof Dietrich geweiht. Im Jahre 1269 befreite Landgraf Heinrich I. von Hessen den Hof, ... auf welchem die Klosterkirche gebaut ist ..., aber noch im 13. Jahrhundert wanderten die Chorherren ab, und das Kloster wurde danach als Nonnenkloster genutzt.

1475 wurde das Kloster durch einen Brand zerstört; es zerfiel, und das Klosterleben wurde eingestellt. Landgraf Wilhelm II. von Hessen ließ die verbliebenen Nonnen bis zur Wiederherstellung in andere Klöster verlegen. Das Nonnenkloster wurde 1489 wegen Sittenlosigkeit aufgehoben und dem Kloster Windesheim (Windesheimer Kongregation) in der Diözese Utrecht übergeben. Augustiner-Chorherren aus dem westfälischen Kloster Böddeken übernahmen es und bauten es wieder auf.

Doch schon 1527 wurde das Kloster nach der Homberger Synode, mit der die Reformation in der Landgrafschaft Hessen eingeführt wurde, säkularisiert und aufgehoben. Durch einen Stiftungsbrief des Landgrafen Philipp wurde am 26. August 1533 das Kloster Merxhausen - wie bald darauf auch die Klöster in Haina (1533) und Gronau (1542) - aufgelöst und in ein sogenanntes Hohes Hospital, ein Landeshospital für die arme Landbevölkerung umgewandelt. Dabei blieb den Hospitälern der gesamte Klosterbesitz erhalten, damit aus deren Erträgen die Kosten bestritten werden konnten. Der Landgraf weihte am 26. August, von Kassel kommend, das Landeshospital Merxhausen für weibliche Kranke ein und reiste anschließend nach Haina weiter, wo er das Landeshospital für Männer einweihte.

1539 praktizierte der Anatom Johann Dryander in dem Landesspital Merxhausen als Arzt. 1540 bis 1543 war Wigand Lauze Oberbevelhaber des Spitals. Der spätgotische Bildhauer Philipp Soldan schuf im 16. Jahrhundert die Gedenksteine für Heinz von Lüder und für den Spitalvogt Hermann Binzinger.

Nach der Teilung Hessens 1575 gehörte Merxhausen mit 365 Kranken zu den vier Hohen Hospitälern, die bis 1810 unter gemeinsamer Verwaltung standen. 1631 wurde das Hospital von Tillys Truppen zerstört, aber umgehend wieder aufgebaut. Die Betreuung der Kranken übernahmen auswärtige Ärzte.

1881 wurde das Hospital für Kranke aus den Städten gegen Zahlung der Kosten geöffnet. In dieser Zeit wurde der erste Arzt unbefristet angestellt.

1929 wurde das Hospital in Landesheilanstalt umbenannt. In der Zeit des Nationalsozialismus wurden viele Patienten durch Euthanasiemaßnahmen ums Leben gebracht. Zwangsarbeiter mussten in der Gärtnerei arbeiten und wurden dort auch untergebracht. Ab 1942 wurden die Anlagen als Militärlazarett genutzt.

Seit 1953 wird die historische Klosteranlage als Psychiatrische Klinik des Landeswohlfahrtsverbands Hessen genutzt.

Heute finden regelmäßig im Klostergarten Aufführungen des Amateurtheaters Klosterspiele Merxhausen statt, bei denen auch Patienten der Vitos Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie Merxhausen mitwirken.

[EN]

1213 is in MERKESHUSEN the Foundation of a monastery by the nobles Hermann and Dietrich Blumenstein of Dörnberg is belayed by the Archbishop of Mainz as an Augustinian Canons double monastery. The foundation's letter of 3 November 1213 states: "... in the place of the earlier Merkereshuse, now field of St. John's, ... In this same places have ... even some pious women with some brothers settled ... ". However, the new name Johannisfeld not prevailed, and a few years later the name was Merkereshusen reused.

Archbishop Siegfried III. of Mainz incorporated in 1242 the monastery church in Offenhausen and the chapel at Riede. After 43 years of building the church on 29 August 1256 was consecrated by the Bishop of Mainz Dietrich. In 1269 freed Landgrave of Hesse Henry I the yard ... on which the church is built ... but in the 13th century migrated from the canons, and the monastery was then used as a nunnery.

1475 the monastery was destroyed by fire; it fell apart, and the monastic life was set. Landgraf Wilhelm II. of Hesse left the remaining nuns embarrassed to recovery in other monasteries. The nunnery was abolished in 1489 because of immorality and handed over to the monastery Windesheim (Windesheim Congregation) in the diocese of Utrecht. Augustinian Canons from the Westphalian monastery Böddeken took it and set it up again.

But already in 1527 the monastery was after the Synod of Homberg, with which the Reformation was introduced in the country county of Hesse, secularized and canceled. With a foundation document of the Landgrave Philip was set on August 26, 1533, the monastery Merxhausen - how soon after the monasteries in Haina (1533) and Gronau (1542) - dissolved and converted into a so-called High Hospital, a state hospital for the rural poor. For the hospitals, the entire monastic property was preserved so that the income from which costs could be disputed. The Landgrave inaugurated on August 26, of Kassel, the State Hospital Merxhausen for female patients and then traveled to Haina, where he inaugurated the National Hospital for men.

1539 practiced the anatomist Johann Dryander in the National Hospital Merxhausen as a doctor. 1540-1543 Wigand lauzes was Oberbevelhaber of the hospital. The late Gothic sculptor Philipp Soldan created in the 16th century, the memorial stones for Heinz von Lueder and for the Governor Hermann Binzinger.

After the division of Hesse 1575 Merxhausen belonged to 365 patients to the four chief hospitals that were until 1810 under joint management. 1631 the hospital was destroyed by Tilly's troops, but built up again immediately. The care of the sick took Foreign doctors.

1881, the Hospital for Sick from the cities opened to pay the costs. During this time, the first doctor was hired indefinitely.

In 1929, the hospital was renamed the State Hospital. In the era of National Socialism, many patients were brought by euthanasia measures killed. Forced laborers were forced to work in the nursery and were housed there. From 1942 the systems were used as a military hospital.

Since 1953, the ancient monastic site is used as a Psychiatric Clinic of the State Welfare Association of Hesse.

Today regularly held in the monastery garden performances of amateur theater Klosterspiele Merxhausen, in which also involve patients in the Vitos Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy Merxhausen.
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Augustiner-Chorherren-Doppelstift Merxhausen

Address:
Landgraf-Philipp-Strasse
Merxhausen
Bad Emstal, Hessen Germany
34208


Religious affiliation: catholic

Date founded/constructed: 1213

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Sajoma visited Augustiner-Chorherren-Doppelstift Merxhausen, HE, Germany 1/18/2015 Sajoma visited it