By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Shiloh Baptist Church - Prairie View, Texas
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Raven
N 30° 06.913 W 095° 59.394
15R E 211899 N 3335326
Quick Description: Established in 1871, Shiloh Baptist Church is located about 1.5 miles north of the town of Prairie View in rural Waller county, Texas.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 1/10/2015 5:38:44 PM
Waymark Code: WMN79Q
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member MountainWoods
Views: 2

Long Description:
Shiloh Baptist Church, located on 23752 FM 1098, was established in rural Waller County in 1871. Below is a brief background on the community surrounding this church, per the Texas State Historical Association website:

"Shiloh, near Ponds Creek, is a widely dispersed community on Farm Road 1098 about 1½ miles north of Prairie View and five miles northeast of Hempstead in Waller County. The community developed around the Shiloh Baptist Church, which began in September 1871 and was still in use [at the time of this waymark's posting]. The original congregation met at neighboring Kirby Chapel until Thomas Armer, Sr., provided land for a building in 1881. In 1905 fifty-seven white and twenty-nine black students attended separate schools in the community; by 1930 the district at Waller, about five miles to the southwest, had absorbed several smaller districts, including the one at Shiloh. In the 1980's Shiloh included the church, scattered homes, and a cemetery that dated to the 1880s. A Texas Historical Commission marker had been placed at the church."

The current building was actually built in 1958, after the previous one (the congregation's 2nd building, built in 1908) was destroyed by a storm a year before. An old picture of the church PRIOR to the current one can be found on the Waller County Texas Historical Commission website.

A Texas historical marker by the church's entrance states:

"On Sept. 21, 1871, at nearby Kirby Chapel Methodist Church, thirteen people with letters of transfer from other congregations banded together as the Shiloh Baptist Church. The Rev. Jesse Tubb and Deacon John M, McGinty assisted with the organization. Ten years later the congregation erected a building of its own at this site, then adjacent to the Pond Creek School, which later was closed. By the early 1900s Shiloh Church had about 100 members. A second building, constructed 1908, served until destroyed by storm in 1957. The third sanctuary, built in 1958, had a wing added in 1961."
Church Name: Shiloh Baptist Church

Church In Use (even only just occassionally): yes

Church NOT in use.: no

Date Church Built: 1958

Rate this church.:

Visit Instructions:
High quality photos only. No low resolution camera phones, please.

Pictures required:
1. Church picture
2. Church sign (schedule sign with Church name on it &/or gate with Church name).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Country Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Raven visited Shiloh Baptist Church - Prairie View, Texas 1/4/2015 Raven visited it