By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St. Paul's Convent - Anaconda, MT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 46° 07.671 W 112° 57.445
12T E 348783 N 5110115
Quick Description: In 1923 construction on St. Paul’s Parochial School was commenced with this convent being built simultaneously. It housed the Ursuline Sisters, who were in charge of the school until the end of World War II, when the Benedictine Sisters took over.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 12/26/2014 9:43:15 PM
Waymark Code: WMN4QX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
This 91 year old one time convent is a contributing building to the West Side Historic District in Anaconda, MT. After its closure in the mid 1970s, it became a private residence residence, which it remains today. Its history, from the National Register of Historic Places, follows.
St. Paul's Convent

On May 30, 1923, the Rt. Rev. John P. Carroll, bishop of Helena, laid the cornerstone for the St. Paul’s Parochial School. Built in the center of this block under the direction of Rev. A. R. Coopman, the school long served the children of St. Paul’s parish.

This building, completed at the same time, housed the Ursuline Sisters in charge of the school. The ground floor contained an office, living room, large dining room, kitchen, and chapel while the second floor was divided into ten sleeping rooms. The debt for the $115,000 school complex, built largely with pledges from parish members, was nearly three-fourths paid when Father Coopman passed away in 1927. After World War II, the Ursulines withdrew and the school came under the care of the Benedictine Sisters until it closed in the mid-1970s. The school building was razed in 1984.

The convent remains as it appeared in 1923. Classical columns, a copper-shingled roof, original plaster walls and ceilings, floors of Michigan maple, and Gothic arches marking the chapel complement the basic American foursquare form.
From the NRHP Plaque

Convent

Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: St. Paul's Convent

Address:
315 West Fourth Street
Anaconda, MT USA
59711


Religious affiliation: Roman Catholic

Date founded/constructed: 1923

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.