By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Fort Turman - Sullivan County, IN
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 39° 07.170 W 087° 35.538
16S E 448797 N 4330204
Quick Description: The Miami Nation (comprised of the Miami, Wea, Piankashaw & Eel River Tribes), were allies of the British and controlled this area
Location: Indiana, United States
Date Posted: 12/20/2014 6:09:37 AM
Waymark Code: WMN3HY
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of marker: Sullivan County
location of marker: IN-154, S. side of rd., ½ mile E. of Turman Creek Bridge, 3 miles E. of Hutsonville
Marker erected by: Nathaniel Foote Chapter, National Society, Colonial Dames XVII Century

Marker text:

FORT TURMAN
Built in 1810 by Benjamin Turman in the Big Springs area on the Harrison Trail from the Fort at Vincennes. The Fort served as protection from Indians and gave shelter to Harrison's men on the march to the Battle of Tippecanoe

Turman's grave site listing on Find-A-Grave

"But for five or six years after the treaty of 1809 the permanent settlements of this country were greatly disturbed and further influx of settlers much retarded by the Indian hostilities which preceded and accompanied the war of 1812. The Indians had not failed to regard with jealousy the gradual encroachment of the whites upon their hunting grounds, and when, in 1809, several of the tribes ceded a large tract of territory to the American government, Tecumseh opposed the treaty, declaring that one or several of the tribes could not barter away the lands that belonged to all the Indian nations in the confederacy. Despite the efforts of Governor Harrison toward breaking up the confederacy which had its center about Prophet's Town, the Indians became more hostile every day. Small parties appeared in different parts of the territory, stealing and occasionally taking, the lives of settlers. Tecumseh and his brother became more insolent in the conference with the governor, and, on the eve of the second war with Great Britain, a secret British influence increased the disaffection of the tribes.

"Accompanied by our kind friend AI. H. [Hoggatt] we commenced our journey for Fort Harrison. Our road led northwesterly through prairies principally composed of clay, though very fertile and interspersed with fine farms. . . .At the end of seven miles we crossed I Tuisseron creek at a mill. . . .We then passed through harrens (so called), which produced corn of uncommon luxuriance. .. .At the distance of three miles we came out into the Gill's prairie, where the extent and beauty of the scene and the luxuriance of the corn excited our admiration ; hut the driftwood was deposited in lines above the level of no inconsiderable part of this fine tract. Indeed, we have seen none except the Vincennes prairie that is free from bayous. . . . This bayou, ten miles in length, receives its waters from Turtle creek. "We were now within the limits of the New Purchase, and consequently none of the few inhabitants who have fixed here can have titles to the land except through the intervention of Canadian claimants.

"At Turtle Creek the woodland commences. .. .Our route still led through woodlands. We had five miles further to travel, and the approach of evening induced us to mend our pace. But it be- came dark before we arrived at Tarman's [Turman's] where we lodged. .. .This person with his family resided here before the late war. A small prairie of 200 or 300 acres, known by his name, and bordered by thick woods, except toward the river, chiefly contains the improvements. Last spring, they removed from the prairie to a new cabin in the woodlands, near the road. The upper story of this building projects for the purpose of defense; and may serve as a memorial of the apprehensions which overspread the white settlers before the late treaty with the Indians at Fort Harrison. A short time before the approach of those persons who came with Hopkins, this family, fearful of the Indians, abandoned their dwelling and retired down the river. In the hurry of removal many articles we necessarily left behind. When the band arrived they wasted everything that could be found ; and the sons told me that their hogs and neat cattle were wantonly shot down, and left untouched where they fell" History of Sullivan County

Who put it there? Private/Government?: Nathaniel Foote Chapter, National Society, Colonial Dames XVII Century

Location/Address:
Indiana Hwy 154
3 miles E. of
Hutsonville, IN USA


County/Province: Sullivan County

Website (related) if available: [Web Link]

Rate the Site:

Photos Will Be Uploaded: yes

Date Erected/Dedicated: Not listed

Hours or Restrictions if Appropiate: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Visit logs must contain at least one new photo (by you) of the waymark. We prefer that neither you nor your GPS be in the photo.
Instead, Please provide some small tid-bit about your visit, or trip to this site, and, if possible, try to provide some fresh view or piece of information about the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest War of 1812
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.