By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

old Mahoning County Courthouse - Canfield, Ohio
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member buffalohiker
N 41° 01.305 W 080° 45.656
17T E 520099 N 4541199
Quick Description: old Mahoning County Courthouse - 7 Court St, Canfield, Ohio.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 12/14/2014 6:33:34 PM
Waymark Code: WMN2QY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ddtfamily
Views: 1

Long Description:
from the nearby Ohio Historical Marker:
Mahoning County was created in 1846 by combining townships from southern Trumbull and northern Columbiana counties. Canfield engaged in competition with several surrounding communities for the new county seat, and its success was attributed to its central location along with the state and local political influence of Judge Eben Newton and Elisha Whittlesey, Esq., Comptroller of the United States Treasury from 1849-1857. To become the county seat, the State of Ohio required "a suitable lot and $5,000 toward public buildings" Judge Newton donated the land and spearheaded the subscription of the state required bond. Once attained, construction progressed rapidly on the Classical Revival style courthouse, completed in June 1848. The Italianate style West wing was added in 1862, but its government status was challenged when in the early 1870s, Youngstown, by now a city, resumed its earlier challenge for the county seat.
To meet the challenge, Canfield hired future president of the United States James A. Garfield to defend it in the United States Supreme Court. The Court's 1876 decision favored Youngstown thus ending Canfield's era as the seat of Mahoning Valley government. With government records removed to Youngstown, the property reverted to Judge Newton, who donated it for educational purposes. For more than four decades, the old courthouse housed both private and public schools until a 1923 public auction by the Canfield Village Board of Education dispensed with the building. Now under private ownership, the former courthouse served many commercial enterprises, including the temporary return of a County District Court. An exterior restoration in the 1960s and the reconstruction of the missing bell tower returned the aging beauty to its present status as one of Ohio's finest examples of public architecture, and it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Year Built: 1848

Current Use of Building: professional offices

Level of Courts: County

Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1848-1876

Physical Address:
7 Court St, Canfield, Ohio


Architect: Not listed

Hours: Not listed

Related Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Courthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
buffalohiker visited old Mahoning County Courthouse - Canfield, Ohio 10/29/2014 buffalohiker visited it