By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Gyro Park - Trail, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 06.341 W 117° 42.534
11U E 448259 N 5439445
Quick Description: At the concession stand in Gyro Park are a pair of historical markers. This one tells passers by of the park itself, when it was begun, what improvements it has undergone and what's there today.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 11/22/2014 6:57:58 PM
Waymark Code: WMMY8J
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member The_Draglings
Views: 0

Long Description:
Gyro Park

The Columbia River has provided the townspeople of Trail with a ready. made recreation resource for swimming, fishing and in the winter, skating on trapped pools.

Originally named Sandy Island, this popular park sits on land donated to the City of Trail in 1933 by Nelson resident, Hugh W. Robertson. The area was incorporated into Trail's scheme of parks and playgrounds, which meant that the Parks Board could develop the land for a safer swimming area and playground.

Development of the park was under the direction of the Trail-Tadanac Parks Board. A formal agreement was drafted between the Parks Board and the Trail Gyro Club that established a cooperative development scheme for the beach and the parkland. Significant upgrades were completed in 1933, mainly the eradication of the ever-present poison ivy plant.

Flowers were planted along the river bank as were several trees, most notably the Carolina poplar. Other improvements were the completion of the 375' sidewalk to the bath house, flagstone sidewalk fronting the bath house and a foot road allowing for easier access to other areas of the park. There was also lawn bowling at the park in the 1940s.

In 1960, the bathing pavilion was renovated, which diminished the size of the change rooms, the expansion of the concession and space was provided for a putting green.

During the early 1960s, over a three year period, a set of five tiered stone bleachers were built by stone masons Bill Di Domenico, Stefano Como and different crews of men. Before the Columbia River dams cut the water flow, the river rose much higher and the bleachers were used by residents to allow for safer access to the water. The bleachers are located below the sidewalk at the new concession stand and have been cleaned and raked for public use once again.

Throughout the decades, the Onions have been a well-known feature along the Trail portion of the Columbia River. The Onions are relentless and have a tremendous undertow. Swimmers are cautioned before entering the river at this location.

Recently, new and upgraded facilities have been added, such as a new concession building, a spray pool, play-ground equipment, washrooms, change rooms, as well as further improvements to the beach area. Today, the park is used for many events including family picnics, birthday parties, weddings, outdoor concerts and community celebrations.
From the historical marker

Plaque

Type of Marker: Cultural

Type of Sign: Historic Site or Building Marker

Describe the parking that is available nearby: Parking lot on site.

What Agency placed the marker?: Trail Historical Society

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest British Columbia Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.