By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Shaver's Bench - East Trail, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 05.900 W 117° 41.537
11U E 449464 N 5438617
Quick Description: This is one of a series of historical markers erected by the Trail Historical Society, each one telling visitors a bit about the history of the neighbourhood they find themselves in.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 11/21/2014 3:26:38 PM
Waymark Code: WMMXTW
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member The_Draglings
Views: 0

Long Description:
This marker was placed in 2014, at the southern edge of Shaver's Bench, part way up the Fifth Avenue Hill, which delineates the southern edge of the community. It is on the south side of Fifth Avenue, by the bus stop near the stairs which lead upward and downward from Fifth Avenue.

Shaver's Bench

This area was named after John Samuel Shaver, a real estate developer from the Rock Creek area.

Shaver created the East Trail Waterworks Company in the late 1920s and had water licenses on Randall, McKelvey and McQuarrie creeks. He used flumes and concrete reservoirs to supply water to his newly developed lots on the Bench and the west-end of Glenmerry.

In 1945, a hall was built by the Shaver's Bench Improvement Association at Pople Park. The park was named after Ken Pople who was an active volunteer for the Association. The hall had a seating capacity of 200 and was used for concerts, dinners, meetings and dances while the park was used for minor baseball and soccer. The S.B.I.A. was also in charge of building an air raid patrol building and worked closely with the Trail District Recreational Projects Society.

`The Bench Builder' was a monthly newspaper printed by Andy Andrews and Fred Stainton for the residents of Shaver's Bench.

Sand storms were quite common on the bench with many gardens being destroyed. Residents recall how the landscape resembled a desert after many of these storms.

The Department of Nation[al] Defence Armoury at the end of 7th Avenue was constructed in 1953 with the official opening on May 9th by Major-General C. Vokes. The building cost $330,000.00 to build and was a modern facility that housed a large fleet of light and heavy equipment for members of the two reserve army units. The two Trail units were the 24th Heavy Ack-Ack Regiment with a roll of 90 men and the 44th Field Squadron of Army Engineers with a roll of 32. Most of the men were Cominco employees.

Today, the armouries are home to the 44th Field Squadron of Engineers and the sea and air cadets who do their training here. The facility is also used for various community events and functions.

The majority of streets in Shaver's Bench are named after Premiers of British Columbia. This area and Glenmerry were incorporated with the City of Trail in 1950.
From the marker

Plaque

Type of Marker: Cultural

Type of Sign: Historic Site or Building Marker

Describe the parking that is available nearby: Street parking

What Agency placed the marker?: Trail Historical Society

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest British Columbia Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.