By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Památník holokaustu / Holocaust Memorial - Teplice (North Bohemia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 50° 38.446 E 013° 49.964
33U E 417463 N 5610528
Quick Description: Depicted memorial, devoted to Jewish victims of the Holocaust and also to the local magnificent synagogue destroyed by Nazis in March 1939, you can find in a small park located in Mírové námestí (Peace Square) in spa town Teplice.
Location: Ústecký kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 10/31/2014 3:50:45 AM
Waymark Code: WMMRW0
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 15

Long Description:

Depicted memorial, devoted to Jewish victims of the Holocaust and also to the local magnificent synagogue destroyed by Nazis in March 1939, you can find in a small park located in Mírové námestí (Peace Square) in spa town Teplice.

The Memorial, located in a small park on the corner of Lípová and Chelcického streets, was unveiled in 1994. The destroyed Teplice synagogue, the largests in the former Czechoslovakia, is evoked by four white columns covered by steel-wire cupola decorated by David's star and by gilded relief depicting syngogue on the memorial tablet from black stone.

The stone tablet bears following inscription in Czech and Hebrew:

Na památku Holocaustu - 6 milionu Židu
zavraždených nacisty v letech 1938-1945
v upomínku na synagogu
postavenou v roce 1882 na tomto
míste a znicenou místními nacisty
v noci ze 14. na 15.brezna 1939

Translated to English:

In commemoration of the Holocaust - 6 millions of Jews
murdered by Nazis in 1938-1945
in commemoration of Synagogue
built in this location in 1882
and destroyed by local Nazis
in night from March 14-15, 1939


Teplice' Jewish community, belonging inseparably to the town' history for four centuries, was one of the largest Jewish communities in the Czech lands. No wonder that there was a synagogue here since as early as 1550, situated in the area of today's Mírové Square (Peace Square). However, during the 17th century the Jews were expelled from the town centre. Unless permitted by authorities, they were not allowed to move, settle down, sell or buy a house or even make complaints to the Prague rabbi. Only the Edict of Tolerance issued by Joseph II removed the worst discriminatory regulations, but the full rights for Jews were brought about no sooner than in the revolutionary year of 1848.

At that time, the Jewish community started to grow rapidly and the small synagogue in Sobedruhy could not seat all believers. Therefore, in 1872 Teplice's Jewish community bought a half-hectare lot in what was then Payerova Street (nowadays Lipová Street) for 25,000 guldens, planning to build a large house of worship. In 1879, a Temple Construction Association (Tempelbau Verein) was established, which was intended to create a construction fund, get new supporters and push through the synagogue construction. Everything was prepared in summer 1880.

The building plan was elaborated by a Vienna architect Wilhelm Stiassny. The foundation stone was laid in mid-winter and the construction started on 11th March 1881. In spite of many problems, the synagogue was completed in 18 months and the final building approval, held in a festive manner, could take place on 6th September 1882.

The overall costs grew to 100,000 guldens. The great feast of consecration took place on Sunday, 10th September 1882, when a procession set out for a symbolic journey from the old synagogue to the new one. Its consecration was witnessed by 2,000 people. In the evening, there was a celebratory banquet in Prince Clary's Garden Hall. Also, a tin medal commemorating the festive consecration was issued.

The architect designed the building in the neo-Renaissance style with oriental features: its main large dome with the Star of David was supplemented by four smaller domes in the building's corners. The structure itself was of monumental dimensions, towering to the height of 42 metres and occupying the area of more than 1,000 sq. meters. It became one of the town's dominants and, it must be noted, only Pilsen's synagogue could compare to it in size.

In 1938, after Munich agreement when Teplice were took by Nazi' Germany, most Jews left the town. The synagogue became forsaken. The municipality wanted to transform it into a museum, municipal archives and a concert hall. However, the plans failed, as in the night of 14-15th March 1939, the synagogue was set on fire and burnt to ashes by the morning. Thus, in such an undignified manner, one of Teplice's architectural gems vanished...

Physical Address:
Památník holocaustu
Lipová ulice / Chelčického ulice
Teplice, Czech Republic


Date Dedicated: 3/14/1939

Supporting Website: [Web Link]

Fee/Donation: free

Memorial Type: Monument/Plaque

Visit Instructions:
A picture of you is required at the site. A full description of your thoughts and experience on the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest The Holocaust
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.