By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Laurence Pountney Church and Corpus Christi College - Laurence Pountney Hill, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 30.633 W 000° 05.314
30U E 702024 N 5710621
Quick Description: This Corporation of London blue plaque is to commemorate the site of St Laurence Pountney Church and Corpus Christi College. The plaque is attached to a wall on the north side of Laurence Pountney Hill in London.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/25/2014 6:34:51 AM
Waymark Code: WMMHX9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bill&ben
Views: 1

Long Description:

The blue plaque is inscribed:

The Corporation of

Site of
Laurence Pountney
Church and
Corpus Christi
College
destroyed in the
Great Fire 1666

the City of London

The London Gardens Online website tells us:

Sir John Poultney or de Pulteney, Lord Mayor in 1330, 1331, 1333 and 1336, founded Corpus Christi College in the parish of St Lawrence and his name was given to the church. The chapel of Corpus Christi probably stood to the north of St Laurence in Candlewick Street by 1392. A lane has been known to exist here since the mid C13th, later called Laurence Pountney Lane after the church. According to John Stow, in 1370 the churchyard was used as the place where Flemish weavers were to gather for the purposes of hiring, whereas weavers of Brabant were to gather for the same purpose in the churchyard of St Mary Somerset (q.v.). The reason for this separation was due to disputes among the weavers. The church and college were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and not rebuilt, the parish then united with that of St Mary Abchurch (q.v.). A plaque on site recalls this as the site of the church and College.

The former burial ground consists of two raised garden areas divided by a sunken pedestrian passageway to Martin Lane, the area on the north being the former site of the church. Both gardens have trees, shrubs and a number of tombs and are bounded by railings over a wall, which date from c.1780. Sir John Poultney's house had been on the west of Laurence Pountney Hill. A number of fine late C17th and early C18th houses survive in this area, including No. 7a Laurence Pountney Lane facing the former churchyard, built c1670 and the offices of the architectural practice of Edward I'Anson from 1851. L'Anson, who later moved to 6 Laurence Pountney Hill, was the architect of the doorway into the churchyard of 1860, and also carried out works to St Mary Abchurch. Restoration works were undertaken in the south ground in 2003 as a private residential garden of adjoining property.

Blue Plaque managing agency: Corporation of the City of London

Individual Recognized: Laurence Pountney Church and Corpus Christi College

Physical Address:
Laurence Pountney Hill
London, United Kingdom


Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To log an entry for a "Blue Plaque," please try to include a picture of you next to the plaque!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Blue Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.