By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St Leonard Eastcheap - Eastcheap, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 30.640 W 000° 05.137
30U E 702228 N 5710642
Quick Description: Ths blue plaque, to denote the site of St Leonard Eastcheap, is attached to a building on the south west of Eastcheap at the junction with Fish Street Hill.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/24/2014 3:21:53 AM
Waymark Code: WMMHPZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dragontree
Views: 0

Long Description:

The City of London blue plaque tells us:

The Corporation of

Site of
St Leonard
destroyed in the
Great Fire 1666

the City of London

Wikipedia tells us about St Leonard's:

St. Leonard, Eastcheap, sometimes referred to as St Leonard Milkchurch, was a parish church in the City of London. Of medieval origin, it was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt.

The church stood in Fish Street Hill, on the corner of Eastcheap, in the ward of Bridge Within. It was also known as St Leonard Milkchurch, a name, according to John Stow, derived from one of its builders, William Melker. Its existence is recorded as early as 1259.

During the 19th century, excavations in Eastcheap for the new Metropolitan District Railway, revealed the foundations of the church. They showed the remains of a long chancel and a nave, the masonry on the north side of which incorporated what was believed to be Roman brickwork.

The patronage of the church belonged to the prior and abbey of Christchurch, Canterbury, and then to the dean and chapter of Canterbury Cathedral.

The church contained monuments to the members of the Dogget family, including John Dogget, who died in about 1456 and gave land to the church.

In 1618 the church was badly damaged by fire. The steeple, with its lead-covered spire, and the west end of the church were so badly damaged that they had to be demolished, and reconstructed on new foundations. The south wall was then also rebuilt, and other repairs made. The church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and not rebuilt. Instead its parish was united with that of St Benet Gracechurch and the site of the church retained as graveyard.

The parish now forms part of the combined parish of St Edmund the King and Martyr, and St Mary Woolnoth Lombard Street with St Nicholas Acons, All Hallows Lombard Street, St Benet Gracechurch, St Leonard Eastcheap, St Dionis Backchurch and St Mary Woolchurch Haw - usually shortened to "St Edmund & St Mary Woolnoth". It is part of the Church of England's Diocese of London.

Blue Plaque managing agency: Corporation of the City of London

Individual Recognized: St Leonard Cheapside

Physical Address:
London, United Kingdom

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To log an entry for a "Blue Plaque," please try to include a picture of you next to the plaque!
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Blue Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.