By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

417 N Commercial - Emporia Downtown Historic District - Emporia, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 24.200 W 096° 10.819
14S E 746221 N 4254332
Quick Description: This two-story brown brick building is located at 417 N Commercial in Emporia, Ks.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 8/20/2014 8:11:29 PM
Waymark Code: WMMA90
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member QuesterMark
Views: 0

Long Description:
From the National Register application:
(visit link)

"Commercial Building Status: Contributing
Address: 417 N COMMERCIAL ST
Date of Construction: 1884 (Estimated); 1930 (Estimated)
Parcel ID: 195-15-0-20-14-015.00-0
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade - Specialty Store
Current Function: Commerce/Trade - Professional
Architectural Classification: Commercial Style

Description:
This brick two-part commercial block occupies a double-width lot. The upper-story fenestration defines four bays, each containing a non-historic three-part fixed sash window. Non-historic painted concrete and brick storefront elements occupy the original storefront opening and exhibit a stylized design with two entrances flanking a solid brick wall and recessed beneath arched openings. A shallow, cantilevered pent roof element spans the full width of the storefront. Historic character-defining features present include: the stone parapet coping blocks, the buff brick facing, the decorative corbel brick courses at cornice level, the four header brick rectangular enframements on the upper-façade wall both above and below the windows, and the header brick windowsills.

History:
This 50'-wide building was being built in 1884. By 1888, it housed a hardware and stove shop. In 1893, this was a carriage repository. The first floor had been divided into two stores - a piano shop and printing shop. The second floor housed offices. By 1905, the print shop had moved to the second floor. There was a grocery and meat shop on the south half in 1911. The north half was vacant. By 1911, there was a restaurant in the north half. The current upper facade dates to ca. 1930. The lower facade dates to the ca. 1960s.

Integrity:
This building is classified as a contributor because its overall appearance dates to the district’s period of significance."
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Emporia Downtown Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

Address:
417 N Commercial Emporia, Ks. 66801


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.