By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

407 N Commercial - Emporia Downtown Historic District - Emporia, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 24.178 W 096° 10.818
14S E 746224 N 4254292
Quick Description: This two-story red brick building is located at 407 N Commercial in Emporia, Ks.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 8/20/2014 7:21:32 PM
Waymark Code: WMMA8R
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member QuesterMark
Views: 0

Long Description:
From the National Register application:
(visit link)

"Commercial Building Status: Contributing
Address: 407 N COMMERCIAL ST
Date of Construction: 1880 (Estimated)
Parcel ID: 195-15-0-20-14-010.00-0
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade - Specialty Store
Current Function: Commerce/Trade - Specialty Store
Architectural Classification: Richardsonian Romanesque/Romanesque Revival

Description:
This two-part commercial block is three bays wide. Upper-story fenestration defines the bays. Each upper-story window opening features a segmental arch formed of three header brick courses with rough-cut stone keystones and springer blocks. All upper-story windows are currently partially covered with non-historic pressed wood siding. The mid-twentieth century aluminum-framed storefront has two large display windows resting on a brick bulkhead, a full-width transom with non-historic infill material, and a recessed entrance. Opposite the retail entrance, the historic second-story entrance is intact. Additional, character-defining features include: the pressed metal cornice; the projecting brick piers under the cornice; the corbel and recessed brick courses embellishing the upper façade wall; and the quarry-faced stone belt course below the upper-story windows that forms a continuous windowsill.

History:
There was a two-story building on this location by 1884, when the first floor was occupied by a hardware and stove shop. There was an elevator in the building by 1888. It continued to house a hardware and stove shop until the years between 1899 and 1905 when it was converted to a grocery and meat shop. There was a tin shop on the second floor. There was still a grocery store there in 1911.

Integrity:
Although the upper-story windows have been partially covered, the building has an open storefront with large display windows and recessed entrance, original cornice, and historic upper-story windows, and, therefore, retains sufficient integrity to be classified as a contributor."
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Emporia Downtown Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

Address:
407 N Commercial Emporia, Ks. 66801


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.