By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

former Emporia IOOF Lodge - Emporia, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 24.122 W 096° 10.823
14S E 746220 N 4254188
Quick Description: This two-story stone building is located at 319 N Commercial in Emporia, Ks.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 8/19/2014 9:09:41 PM
Waymark Code: WMMA3A
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member kbarhow
Views: 0

Long Description:
From rootsweb:
(visit link)

"The Original Chapter of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, then known as the Union Lodge No. 10 was organized in Emporia March 16, 1859, just two years before the Civil War and two years after the town of Emporia was laid out. The charter members were Robert LOGAN , E.P. HADLEY , Michael FISHER , John W. WEAVER , Charles HOSALER , Joseph RICKABAUGH , Thomas P. HALL , F.W. FINK , and Joseph HALL .

The purpose of the lodge was visiting the sick, relieving the distressed, burying the dead, and educating the orphans. These works of charity the members faithfully carried on.

In the early records of the lodge is was stated that a committee from their group and the Masonic Order were chosen to investigate tracts of land suitable for a burying ground. This committee, consisting of John W. WEAVER , P.B. PLUMB , and Joseph RICKABAUGH , reported on May 30, 1860, that the most desirable plot for burial purposes was the twenty acres northwest of town, in the SW quarter of Section 4, Township 19, Range 10 owned by Mr. WEAVER . The price of the land was $5.00 an acre. It was further stated that the east half of the ground was found to be worth more than the west half, as it lay more smoothly, so the spokesman for the Odd Fellows readily consented to pay $60.00 for the better land, as they felt it would be of greater benefit to their lodge. The Masons took the west half which is gulled and the ravines are deep.

In 1862 the members of IOOF Lodge #10 went into war service and the charter of their lodge together with their chapter possessions were surrendered to the Grand Lodge. On July 14, 1865, Union Lodge #10 was organized, and this new order immediately made arrangements to take over the burial ground previously owned by Lodge #10."

1859 is just three years after Kansas territory was officially opened for settlement. I am not finding information when this Lodge was no longer in existence.

From the National Register application:
(visit link) link)

"IOOF Hall Status: Contributing
Address: 319 N COMMERCIAL ST
Date of Construction: 1880 (Estimated)
Parcel ID: 195-15-0-20-15-007.00-0
Historic Function: Social - Clubhouse
Current Function: Commerce/Trade
Architectural Classification: Italianate

Description:
This load-bearing stone, two-part commercial block is seven bays wide and six bays deep. Upper-story fenestration defines the bays. Round arches characterize each upper-story window opening in the primary façade. Three of these openings contain the historic tall, narrow, one-over-one double-hung wood windows; non-historic multi-light vinyl windows occupy the remaining window openings in the front facade. The street-level entrance to the second floor occupies the center bay, which contains non-historic painted wood infill. The second-floor entrance is flanked on each side by a storefront. The south storefront has a center-bay recessed entrance flanked by a display windows. The north storefront has a flush entrance and a three-part display window. Both storefront transom openings contain non-historic painted wood infill. Additional character-defining features include: the pressed metal cornice; the quarry-faced stone on the primary and secondary (south) elevations, which has regular courses on the front façade and irregular courses on the side elevations; the full-height engaged stone piers flanking the center bay and at each end of the front façade; the modest pier capitals at the top of each storefront; and the round arch ashlar stone second-story window hoods with decorative keystones and springers. The secondary elevation window openings feature segmental arches with stone lintels and contain non-original one-over-one windows with plywood infill above.

History:
This building was built by 1884, when it housed a "99-cent Variety Store" on the first floor and offices on the second floor. By 1888, there was a furniture/undertaking business on the first floor and IOOF hall on the second floor. In 1893 and 1899, there was a second-hand store on the north, grocery on the south, and IOOF hall upstairs. By 1905, the first floor was occupied by a wholesale grocery.

Integrity:
Although the building has had modifications over time, including replacement of some upper-story windows and enclosure of transoms, it retains key elements, including pressed-metal cornice, materials, massing, quarried-stone exterior, upper-story window openings and open storefront."
Location Details:
Please see long description... The building is partially vacant, partially occupied by a mortgage company, and partially occupied by a party balloon shop.


Date of construction: 1884

location website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
A unique picture, including yourself in the picture, or at least one with your GPS in the frame.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Odd Fellow Lodges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.