By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

528 N Commercial - Emporia Downtown Historic District - Emporia, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 24.289 W 096° 10.802
14S E 746241 N 4254497
Quick Description: This two-story red brick building is located at 528 N Commercial in Emporia, Ks.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 8/17/2014 8:28:36 PM
Waymark Code: WMM9MV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ddtfamily
Views: 0

Long Description:
From the National Register application:
(visit link)

"Commercial Building Status: Contributing
Address: 528 N COMMERCIAL ST
Date of Construction: 1880 (Estimated)
Parcel ID: 195-15-0-10-07-007.00-0
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade - Financial Institution
Current Function: Social
Architectural Classification: Italianate

"Description:
This brick two-part commercial block occupies a corner lot and has two primary elevations - west and north. The building is three bays wide and seven bays deep. Upper-story fenestration, comprised of single window openings containing non-historic one-over-one units, defines the bays. A non-historic storefront occupies the street-level façade and includes a pent roof awning with brackets, large nine-part display windows, and a flush double-leaf entrance centered in the west elevation. There is no transom opening. Historic character-defining features present include: the decorative brick work at cornice level in the form of recessed rectangular wall panels and dentils; the engaged brick piers between each bay; the corbelled brick that suggests brackets between each pier; the round arches and cast iron hoods over each west elevation window opening; the segmental arches with brick hoods over each upper-story window opening in the north side elevation; and the stone windowsills, which feature small end brackets on the west elevation windows. Five first-floor window openings in the north elevation have non-historic infill - four with brick and one with siding.

History:
This building was built by 1884, when it housed a bank on the first floor and offices on the second floor. For many years, there was also a barber shop in the basement, accessible from sidewalk entrances, now infilled, on the north. The bank remained until the years between 1899 and 1905, when the first floor was vacant. In 1911, the building housed a ladies' clothing store, offices and violin repair shop. There was a bank here again in 1923 and 1929. There was a store here in 1946.

Integrity:
Although this building has been modified over time, including a largely infilled storefront, the upper façade on the west and north elevations retain sufficient degree of integrity to merit classification as a contributor."
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Emporia Downtown Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

Address:
528 N Commercial Emporia, Ks. 66801


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.